Open exhaust

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ronny, where ya at? We ran my best friends 70 Chevelle w/ 454 that we put in this summer with true 3" collectors on 2" primary headers around Cheney and never got caught ( of course the way I drove it I am amazed that I didnt)

Jim

Baffled......

I also use a baffle in the collector, cuts noise by 40% to 50% and I am running 6 cylinders
through the one baffle.
A local manufacture of ATC-quads-snow mobile exhaust modified one to fit for me
in about 10 minutes. '22

It seems from from posts on other this and other sites, it depends on what state you live in, your attitude and the cops attitude. In California, it is illegal to modify the exhaust to increase or amplify noise. If you get cited for modified exhaust, its a fix-it and fine. If the cops in a good mood, he can cite for defective mufflers, this is only a fix-it.

Now, worse case scenario, you get stopped by the same cop. He can 1. Take you to jail for failure to obey a lawful order (if he told you to fix-it and you didn't) or 2. He can cite for failure to comply (which is $150 plus 1 point on your record).

i guess it depends where you live and what you drive, I drove my 63 for several months with open headers all over town and never got stopped even once. It was by no means quiet either, the ladies at the office had a running joke about how they could tell if i was coming in late or not becuase they could hear me all the way down the street.

i have to admit though, open headers got old even for me after a while. they make your ears ring if the drive is more then 15 minutes :p.

Ronny, where ya at? We ran my best friends 70 Chevelle w/ 454 that we put in this summer with true 3" collectors on 2" primary headers around Cheney and never got caught ( of course the way I drove it I am amazed that I didnt)

Jim
In Moses Lake about 2 hours west of Spokane...........................Maybe I'm just paranoid as I have not tried it since I was like 18 but I think I'll run some sort of muff anyhow.

I go through Moses Hole all the time. My Seester live in Othelo and my Niece lived in Moses Hole for a while, she is now in Oklahoma where her Husband got stationed. There has to be Old tin still all over in that area my Brother in law wont tell me where it all is in Othelo because he is affraid it will be Hotrodded and he might be right.

Jim

In my area, it wouldn't even be worth it to try running open exhaust. I just avoid the whole issue and run baffles or mufflers.

yay for arizona ive never been pulled over for a loud exhaust
not on a bike or any of my cars.......but using a jake brake in town will get you hung lol

I was worried how mine would be received by the local cops, but so far, so good. I made some simple baffles and it dropped the sound quite a bit, and the turnouts helped too, but it is still not as quiet as a full exhaust system obviously.

I think the comment about how you are driving is the biggest factor. If you are driving like Don Garlits, you are going to attract attention. And, if you do get stopped, your attitude will mean a lot too. Cops are just like us, and react to how we treat them. If you come across as an ok guy who tries to obey every law, but you just happen to like performance oriented cars, you stand a good chance of getting a warning or less.

If all else fails, tell him loud pipes save lives. :D:D:D:D

Don

I go through Moses Hole all the time. My Seester live in Othelo and my Niece lived in Moses Hole for a while, she is now in Oklahoma where her Husband got stationed. There has to be Old tin still all over in that area my Brother in law wont tell me where it all is in Othelo because he is affraid it will be Hotrodded and he might be right.

Jim

Yeah been here mostly all my 39 years (lived in Spokane and Reno each for 1 year) and also lived in Othello for a few months (hate that town). As for vintage iron I'm not inclined to say its all over but then up til a couple years ago I was mostly looking at only musclecar stuff so never really paid too much attention. I bought my 33 plymouth body out of Prosser and seems there was tons of old stuff around that area....................a guy just had a 33 plymouth coupe body stolen right out of his back yard so I keep my stuff locked up pretty good.

How do you guys keep from getting in trouble for your open headers? Knowing my luck I'd get nailed first time out.

Ronny,
Get on the web and type in Washington state rcw 46.37.390. Section one says you have to have a muffler. Sub section three then states that this does not apply to vehicles over 25 years old if off road or in a competitive event by a recognized sanctioning body.

This can be interpreted many ways. If you drive in sane and safe manner you might not have any problems. If you screw around, well thats another matter.

RCW 46.37.518 states on street rods and kit vehicles hoods and bumpers are optional. RCW 46.37.500(2) requires fenders if the streets are wet.

By the way Rat33 in case you haven't found out, the Cheney and Couer D'Alene cops are the worst around, they'll nail you for just thinking about doing something.

If you want to be on guard, print out a copy of the RCWs that apply to your vehicle and keep them in the car so you can show them to the officer and take them to court if it should come to that.

Cycle Dog be carefull how you read the RCW. remember it was not written by normal people it has been fabricated by lawyers. the excemtion for vehicles 25 years or older only applies to sub section (3). You could still be cited for RCW 46. 37. 390 (1). it is a catch all and is where " officer descretion" comes into play. I can tell you that in my jurisdiction the excessive noise violation needs to be coupled with the driving behaviour of the offender. but that is not to say that some badge heavy officer who got pushed down in the playground alot would not use the RCW to hassle you.

most officers work on one of two frames of mind when making a traffic stop (1) some will make up thier mind to write you as soon as they turn on the lights. with guys in this catagory you are not going to talk them out of a ticket, State patrol and most motor cops fall into this catagory. (2) the second group are attitude tickets. the officer will make a decision based on your reaction and attitute. Best bet, play dumb, be ploite and appolgtic. and if you are going to take it to court, keep you mouth shut, popping off on the sdie of the road will not help, smile say think you and then take it to court and explain your side of the story to the judge.

here is the complete RCW read it and you will see what I mean.

Pablo

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2)(a) No motor vehicle first sold and registered as a new motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 1 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (a)(i) above.

(b) No motor vehicle first sold and registered prior to January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 2 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (b)(i) above.

(c) For the purposes of this subsection the following definitions shall apply:

(i) "Opacity" means the degree to which an emission reduces the transmission of light and obscures the view of an object in the background;

(ii) "Ringelmann chart" means the Ringelmann smoke chart with instructions for use as published by the United States bureau of mines in May 1967 and as thereafter amended, information circular 7718.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.
Based on the above, it's like California. You need a muffler as quiet was what came stock. The only difference with the law is excessive smoke is a separate law in California.

in my old age (30, lol) I have become more of a fan of a quiet rumble. Also I have had more then one loud exhaust ticket on my Motorcycle even though it still has the "honda" stamped exhaust pipes. it's the stock 2 in to 1 pipes with all the baffling removed. each time I tried to play dumb and point to the "Honda" stamp on the pipe they still hand me the $100 ticket.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old

Seems to me this sentecnce says it all. Pretty clear, if the vehicle is over twenty five years old it can be modified and be louder than stock, whatever that means.

you are correct, that sentence does say it all "THIS SUB SECTION (3) does not apply.... which means that it does not apply to subsection (1)... (1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

in the end it is your desicsion, just trying to pass on some direct wisdom.

Pablo

Latest posts

Back