Open exhaust

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are correct, that sentence does say it all "THIS SUB SECTION (3) does not apply.... which means that it does not apply to subsection (1)... (1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

in the end it is your desicsion, just trying to pass on some direct wisdom.

Pablo

Pablo, I always welcome your insight and perspective on these issues.
Thanks, '22

31-22-26 Noise in vicinity of horse. – No operator of a vehicle in the vicinity of an equestrian and horse may blow a horn, or cause loud or unusual noises, in a manner to startle or frighten the horse. An operator violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a civil violation and upon conviction shall be fined not more than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for the first offense nor more than fifty dollars ($50.00) for second or subsequent offenses.

I have run mine with open headers the last couple of months. I run a 3 " Warlock muffler with the plugs you can pull and put turn downs on. My exhaust gos through (straight through) the muffler. Looks kind of funky with 2 turn douw on each muffler. I figured if I got stopped I would tell them I was headed to a muffler shop. I have also pulled up next to a cop at a stop light and all he did was give a thumbs up. I just make sure not to mash it to hard around town. Keith

Attachments

• Motor.JPG
    Motor.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 7
Not to hijack, but do you guys have a source for baffels for lakester headers?

I made my own and in combination with the turnouts the sound is much quieter. Also get no fumes on me now. :D

Don

Attachments

• t baffles for headers 003.jpg
    t baffles for headers 003.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 11
  • t baffles for headers 005.jpg
    t baffles for headers 005.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 13
  • t baffles for headers 007.jpg
    t baffles for headers 007.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 16
  • t baffles for headers 010.jpg
    t baffles for headers 010.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 15
  • t wiring done and turnouts 007.jpg
    t wiring done and turnouts 007.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 14
I made my own and in combination with the turnouts the sound is much quieter. Also get no fumes on me now. :D

Don

Don,
How did you punch the holes in the third picture? I could easily drill the holes, but all the home made baffles I've seen have had the holes punched instead of drilled. Is this because the excess material that obstructs the tube when the holes are punched has something to do with muffling the sound?

Where did you get the turnouts?

Latest posts

Back