Montana Terraplane

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkadams123

My Montana project is now a 1936 Hudson Terraplane.

I first started my rat rod build over 2 years ago with another car. I spent a lot of time cutting the body off the frame and getting it over the custom frame. then I got the call. The guy who gave me the car found out that the guy who gave it to him didn't own it. The real owner had posted it as stolen and even reported it to the sheriff! I tried to buy it but the price was too high. I packed up all the parts and took them back to the field where it has sat for years.

I then found the Terraplane just a couple miles from my house out in the hills. Since the price of scrap was so high, I had to pay for the car. $50! The only problem with it is that many years ago a farmer cut the top off to use the steel for a cab for his jeep. I'll worry about the top once it is running.

Got the rear end and engine from a donor truck with no title. I built the frame from 2 x 4 tubing and have air bags under the back.

I sure enjoy reading threads and comments from real people. I made the mistake of checking out the HAMB site and found them not welcoming and rather stuck up.

I wanted to post pics but only got one to up-load. Here is a link to a PP showing my progress. I hope it works!

https://docs.google.com/a/billingss...eqWzJcy7U06nNUhjlppFN-Nk4YE/edit#slide=id.p13

Attachments

• dropping body on frame 5.5.jpg
    dropping body on frame 5.5.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 216
I do have the grill iand it is still in good shape. No deer damage! Sorry the link didn't work. I will keep trying to up-load pics. Any advise on up-loading is appreciated.

I'll try again on the pics. I tried the doc's recommendation and opened it in paint and shrunk it 50%. I'll keep trying till I get it right! The same as mounting the radiator and grill tonight. Got it done, and then don't like it. I will re-do tomorrow. This is what I have so far. Now I will try to up-load pick of the process.

Attachments

• rat grill 50.JPG
    rat grill 50.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 191
I think I've got it!

Here are pics of the rear end and frame. 4 link and air bags. I built this for the first body, then modified it for the one I am using now.

Attachments

• z-rear end 2.JPG
    z-rear end 2.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 104
  • rear end 3.JPG
    rear end 3.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 102
  • panhard bar 4.JPG
    panhard bar 4.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 104
  • rear frame inside view 8.JPG
    rear frame inside view 8.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 93
I think I am doing this all backwards. Oh well. here is the car as I found it in the hills of Montana.

Attachments

• in a field.jpg
    in a field.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 151
Welcome to the forum. I'd say you are a luck man that the first one didn't work out...that Terraplane is really cool! Keep the pictures coming.

That is gonna be a cool ride! When you mentioned the top being cut off I imagined the worst but after checking out your power point pics I see it's not so bad. :cool: Makes me think of one of these.......

ragtoprambler.jpg
ragtopramblr.jpg

.....a little Hartz cloth and you're in business! [cl[cl

[P[P[P

The missing top is not on the top of my build list. Lots of other stuff to do first. I may even put a soft top on it, who knows? I also an happy the first car was reported stolen. The Terraplane is in better shape and I like the looks.

Thought I'd give an up-date on the Terraplane. Going well, but not as fast as I'd like. Engine and trany in, brakes in and plumbed, radiator set, now working on wiring harness. Still need to connect battery, lights, fuel system, and see if she runs!

Attachments

• body on dollies 1.1.JPG
    body on dollies 1.1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 122
  • headers 1.JPG
    headers 1.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 108
  • door 1.JPG
    door 1.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Place for Beer 1.JPG
    Place for Beer 1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Wiring 1.JPG
    Wiring 1.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 97
  • steering box 1.JPG
    steering box 1.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 99
  • trunk 1.JPG
    trunk 1.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 89
Thats a solid Terraplane, those front fenders looked pretty solid too. The Terraplane has one of my favorite grilles. Keep up the great work.

Latest posts

Back