OK....a thought Most Outrageous Fab idea...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
Has anyone ever started a post for the most insane, outrageous and or, thinking outside of the box fabrication idea that actually worked out???

If not.....here is your chance.....these must be RRR members ideas and please include photos......

bends

l don't have a metal break so l use a old trick dad and & several grampa's used;

the shop man door. this works on thin gauge metals pretty good, just do a little test squeeze to make sure you don't spring the door.

1. put the piece in-between the back of the door and where it shuts.

2. from the outside. line up the bend with the door jamb.

3.shut the door or make it so it don't move. some experimenting will be required to learn where it will bend with what you are using. aluminum the same gauge bends a little different than sheet metal l noticed.

4. start bending by putting palms, and if needed, a shoulder and push, be careful till the bend is close. go slow and be patient because it's easy to go overboard or crease the metal and ruin it.

just made the bends in a old metal street sign this way for door panels, if l choose to use them, for the the 2 door conversion dodge sedan and it worked great. took a bout a half hour to make two, so the method is a little slow but the results are good.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01461.jpg
    DSC01461.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01462.jpg
    DSC01462.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC01463.jpg
    DSC01463.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01464.jpg
    DSC01464.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01466.jpg
    DSC01466.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01468.jpg
    DSC01468.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01469.jpg
    DSC01469.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01470.jpg
    DSC01470.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 32
I don't know if this fits here, but what the heck...

I built a double pivot, disappearing fifth wheel hitch for our "toterhome". It started as an off-the-shelf single pivot. I wanted to reduce lateral chassis stress and ease off-level connections... so I started to "engineer'' a platform mount with a second pivot. That's when the light came on... If I make the assembly narrow enough, it can flip upside-down and "hide" between the frame rails.

Long story short... a 3'' tractor axle, some heavy wall pipe, a pail of grade 8 bolts, a few pounds of MIG wire and some teflon injection... now you see it... now you don't. (Goodbye greasy plate, hello tailgate parties. :D)

That was almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the build but here's the entire rig, not quite finished, but functional...

attachment.php

Attachments

• qc racing.jpg
    qc racing.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 154

Great Rig, Dr. C. Looks like a serious racing enterprise. I'd like to know more about your racing activities.
At the other end of the food chain...here's my driveable dent removal device.

Last edited:

On one project I couldn't find a good place on the frame to mount friction shocks so I mounted them to the axle and ran the links up to the frame.

Lord I hope not but you never know....

I wonder if there are a few RRR members in the following group : [cl

http://crossquote.com/funny-crazy-redneck-auto-repair/

Don

LMAO!!! My favorite is the metal roof section doors and fender ....

getting back to the posts....some of these are pretty good ideas....I'm still wondering about the tire in roof section one.....OK BobW....I give.....lol is that a form of red neck english wheel technique??

And Doc....that thing is crazy insane hauler...wow....yeah, wish you had some pics of the stuff you modified....sounds like it worked good....

Never thought about the door as a brake.....

l don't have a metal break so l use a old trick dad and & several grampa's used;

the shop man door. this works on thin gauge metals pretty good, just do a little test squeeze to make sure you don't spring the door.

1. put the piece in-between the back of the door and where it shuts.

2. from the outside. line up the bend with the door jamb.

3.shut the door or make it so it don't move. some experimenting will be required to learn where it will bend with what you are using. aluminum the same gauge bends a little different than sheet metal l noticed.

4. start bending by putting palms, and if needed, a shoulder and push, be careful till the bend is close. go slow and be patient because it's easy to go overboard or crease the metal and ruin it.

just made the bends in a old metal street sign this way for door panels, if l choose to use them, for the the 2 door conversion dodge sedan and it worked great. took a bout a half hour to make two, so the method is a little slow but the results are good.

Later :cool:

Looks like it worked......Never thought I'd get replys to this post....ok...what's next on the "hit parade"...

BobW....I give.....lol is that a form of red neck english wheel technique??

I think that's a Polish wheel, right Bob? (I'd be happy to blabber about racing sometime.)

And Doc....that thing is crazy insane hauler...wow....yeah, wish you had some pics of the stuff you modified....sounds like it worked good....

So do I. I/we built the truck from a cab and chassis... nobody thunk to take pictures. :(

Sorry for the interruption, next?

Dredging up an old thread in hopes of... more posts??? [;)

I built this for my son... eight, maybe ten years ago. (He wanted to build a spud gun with plastic sewer pipe but I figgered we could do better. [ddd)

Sch 40 aluminum pipe - 100% TIG welded - propane-fired - electronic ignition - laser "sighted"...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 80
No pics, but in the line of bob w's dent remover, I have used the roll down trailer dolly on my semi to press dents out of panels. It also works as a poor mans press, with a down force of 20-30,000 lbs, it will press objects pretty good.

I have also used the truck and trailer frames as a jig to bend tubing and flat steel. Wedge it in a hole or under a bracket, bend as desired.

Wow Dr.C,thats a nice spud gun.Ive made some nice ones,but nothing like that.I love seeing the look on somebodys face,when they see a tater shot,the first time.I use hair spray for fuel.I bet most people dont know whats in hair spray.If they did they wouldnt spray it on their head.

Does rolling your body over on couch cushions to weld the rockers count? You can see in the pic, infront of the wheel well where I made a brace with a curve to help me roll it without smashing it all up (there is one bolted to the firewall area too.)
attachment.php

Doc you get serious about spud guns don't ya??

I've always seen them made of PVC pipe...and don't look as good as that.....[cl
I had forgotten about this thread...since it kinda died out....doesn't have to be fancy guys and gals....just unusual or redneck will do....:D

Latest posts

Back