"Paradise Road"......first house on the right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the sub floor the next day.....

Hmm, looks like I have another set of stairs to build.........I'm sure there will be another rainy day to do it :rolleyes:

Look, another load of lumber.......

Time to build some more walls.........

You's think a guy that can build a house in a few months could get a Jeep Pickup hot rod runnin' and drivin' in less than a quarter century.:D

Great work on the house, Snake. I really enjoy this thread.

nice build thread. but where is the garage ?

Not to worry, every farmhouse needs a barn.....er' garage ;) Off to the side will be a 36' X 50' pole barn with ceiling high enough for a lift.

Dad-gum Snake, it looks kinda' like you know what you're doing :p

Awesome build thread. Keep the good work going.

Nah, just "doing what I know" Never really did anything else so it's all I know :eek:

You's think a guy that can build a house in a few months could get a Jeep Pickup hot rod runnin' and drivin' in less than a quarter century.:D

Great work on the house, Snake. I really enjoy this thread.

[S Yeah, reckon what's up with that :confused: I'm gonna blame it on priorities but what it boils down to is that I know a whole lot more about building a house than I do about building a car. :eek: Glad you are enjoying this build.......did I tell you that it's been rainy this summer :confused:

Here we are off to a pretty good start on floor number two......

Any guesses as to what it did the night before this pic was taken :rolleyes:

See, I told you there would be another rainy day for building more stairs.....

Dried up a bit so on we go......

Had a visitor this day and he stayed perched there all day........

Here we are closing in on the second floor wall framing......

To be continued.........

Ok....gotta know....

How many people are working with you on a given day of building??? You are only showing you.....my Lord man....if you are doing this alone....you got my vote for superman..... :D

How many people are working with you on a given day of building??? You are only showing you.....my Lord man....if you are doing this alone....you got my vote for superman..... :D

Oh Heavens no, are you kidding........with all the rain we've had it takes one full time guy just for the squeegee!

That's my son-in-law's Dad on the squeegee that particular day.......and he's the other half of the crew. So Gunner will be growing up in a house that his Grandpas built. :cool: Now "Daddy Mac" is about ten years my senior and I'm not trying to hurt any feelings here but can you imagine trying to build this house and it's just you and a stoved up arthritic old Grandpa :eek:........well, "Daddy Mac" has to put up with it every day!:p

So in answer to your question there's two of us working on this and all joking aside "Daddy Mac" has been a great help......a retired IT guy that's not afraid of a little manual labor and is content to do all my fetching and holding the other end of stuff. :cool:

So, here we are all framed up on second floor and starting to sheath the walls..

Not back filled yet so there's no place to set conventional scaffolding......fixed that problem with some ol' school "shelf bracket" scaffolding....

Set up regular scaffolding down back......

Four bucks high was just enough to reach the top of the wall.......31 feet to top of plate!

With the second floor walls framed and sheathed I needed some more stairs to make it easier to get to the attic, couldn't wait for a rainy day this time so I broke down and built a landing and one section of them while the sun was shining......:D

To be continued........

Here we go again with some more floor joists.......

.....and here we go putting a lid on it for the third time!

And whatta ya know.......it still leaks like a freakin' sieve :eek:

I'm starting to think that I need to really consider putting a "pointy top" on it or something. :rolleyes:

To be continued..........

Look on the bright side, If it leaks that bad you won't need to add a sprinkler system.

All the reality TV shows have drama. Like E-man said, you have the rain. Throw a half dozen water moccasins in the place and we'll have real drama.

Great build by the way. Are you working a regular job while you are building the house?

Looking good! Just bet some roofing or at least a tarp over it. The strand board and laminated I beams don't like to be wet for long. They will swell and start to split the fibers in a very short time. That takes a ton away from the strength. I know cause I was in the same boat! Had to move into my cellar hole with just the first deck on when my other house sold ahead of time. We stretched 3 mil palstic sheeting over the deck and inflated it to a dome (small dome) with window fans in the stair wells just to keep the water going off the sides. [cl

Latest posts

Back