Low $$$ Willys truck rebuild

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,your truck is looking good.I got a ? about driveshafts.Yours is a two piece+my s10 has a one piece.Why use a two piece?Does it help with the angle from trans to rear?

Hi Everyone

I wondered that myself when I pulled the box off and saw it...it same that way so I thought the engineers in Detroit are a lot smarter than me...I figured I would leave it as stock as I can....I think this is the fourth S10 that I have bought and the first one with a 2 piece driveshaft...not sure what they were thinking about when they designed this but I'll take it the way it is...

Cant wait to drive this thing...NAPA so far has gotten just about every part I need for it...I have found out if you have a make and model for the counter guy...then they can usually find it or someone close by has it and can get it within a day..that to me is huge...my mail order Jeep build was crazy...

MikeC

My '82 S-10 (regular cab longbox) had a 2-piece shaft from the factory and still does. My '85 regular cab longbox S-10 frame donor had a 2-piece shaft originally as well. I have a '92 parts truck also with a 2-piece. I've seen some newer S-10 with one-piece shafts, but for some reason a lot have 2-piece.

This view is the "after" picture of the inner fender panels...it was crazy how thin the inner fender panels actually are...it was maybe 26-28 gauge. I had an old steel shelve and it was the closest thing I had...the outside of the fenders wer much thicker and more like 18 gauge..

This is the drivers side...as you can see I had to cut out and make a cut out out of steel (old S10 roof)...this was to clear the stock S10 cooling system...the bottom tank area....cant wait to get this thing up and running...I bet it is going to ride a heck of a lot better than the stock Willys did...

This is the top of the fender...needed a little help from the metal termites here too...note cut out for radiator...

MikeC

S-10's used one piece driveshafts only on regular cab short box trucks. The regular cab long box or extended cab short box configurations always used a two-piece driveshaft because of the extra length. I know on my extended cab '87 (see avitar pic) the hanger bearing falls directly underneath the rear wall of the cab. I would imagine a one-piece shaft would hit the flat cab floor during suspension compression over bumps.

I LOVE your Willys. These trucks are a standout, because you just don't see very many of 'em around anymore. The idea of one on an S-truck chassis occured to me several years ago, seems like it will be a good match. I'm looking forward to your progress!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Hi Mike, I went thru your build and have to say you definitely had a lot of cleanup.
Sure is lookin good now [cl [P

Yuppers this S10 was not what I thought it was gonna be...I am working now on the front brake lines....it is really cool how NAPA sells just about everything for this truck...my goal is as soon as the snow is gone to be cutting the floor and firewall off the S10 cab and then setting that one on the chassis and then cutting the Willys cab floor and firewall out and making them one unit...A lot of unknowns yet to figure out....should be basic stuff I hope...

thanks for following along...

MikeC

This is the winter that wont end....here is the Willys cab and the S10 cab...still snowed in...I am slowly shoveling them both out...I have the cab on the right just about cleared to be moved...

These are the new (to me) junk yard lower control arms...I spent days wire brushing and grinding these..got these and front coils for I think $125.00

My most favorite name in front end parts...thank you Rock Auto...less than 150.00 for all 4 boxes as shown

Freshly painted and ready to be mounted...

A new to me Craigslist find of a late 1970's vintage (never mounted) cost me $100.00

I gotta tell you guys....I love love love the way coil springs but darn they are a pain to get to set back up in there pockets.....I had to rent a spring compressor from the local NAPA store...

I just dug both rear fenders out of the snow bank...I am in full patching mode...

Weather.....still single digits in the morning here...darn I miss warm temps...Thinking Spring :)

Here are the seat mount supports from the S10...
Here is what I dreamed up...

Some floor welding/patching...gotta love New York State salt use...

Rear cab mounts are roughed in...

This is the top side of the above picture...

Front cab mounts are in

First real front sheet metal mock up...

Front view below...I gotta order up some Speedway motor 2" back set steel white spoke IMCA style wheels to make the front wheel look more normal

Right now I am cutting the floor out of the Willys cab...hopefully this weekend I have a couple of strong men to help me raise up the Willys cab and set it on the S10 floor pan...cant wait to get it running.....I have the patience of a gnat...so says my wife...

I am also stretching this item about 9" longer....I bought another one off Ebay for $40.00 bucks...cutting and chopping is done...we have steering for the first time since last fall when I dragged this project inside...

Hey everybody

Sorry no pictures...

But last night I got the clutch pedal hooked up, the brake pedal hooked up and the gas pedal all mounted...and I got the passenger side cab mounts painted...also we have steering again...first time since Oct 2013 when I dragged it inside...

I gotta tell you this...I love putting stuff back together (righty tighty all the way)...I dont enjoy the tearing stuff down at all...

Also I am getting bored with this one so if somebody out there in Rat Rod land wants to make me an offer...It is for sale..

MikeC

my wife wants me to get one of those pick ups.
get me a runner
and clean it all up but no mods
a nice cheery home paint job.
and go for country drives.

Surgery Day at the ranch

Hi everybody
here is the old Willys floor board...

front view of the cab with no firewall...

flintstone floor below..

Hoping to get the guy next door to use his tractor with a bucket in so we can get the cab to at least sit on the S10 floor pan...
So almost everynight at least 2 hours...keep my head down and keep diggin..

MikeC

Latest posts

Back