OK....quick question....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
One of the kids at the department, sorry young officer, brought home a 1931 A roadster with a motor I've never seen....trying to get pics to download....will be done shortly I hope...
It's an overhead valve 4 banger....block looks like a regular flat head 4cyl block but it's got a head on it that says hi speed on the valve cover...also has this really large side cover.....kid says his grandpa put the OHV conversion on and said he thought it was a shonfield or something like that....you guys ever hear of such a thing?

Well that looks like it....

Not so much bling but has one Stromberg 48 I believe....darn photos won't come off the phone and into my laptop....not sure what's going on....will try again later....Thanks Bob...appreciate the quick response....the kid has some work to do to get it fired...been sitting in his grandpa's garage for 30 years....but is not in too bad of shape....motor turns by hand so should fire I'd guess....I'd never heard of this conversion....learn something new every day...even at my age....lol...

Sarge,
Think there were several OHV conversions for bangers but not up on them since I'm a V8 kinda toad! Once you post photos I'm sure someone will ID it for you! Most of them are worth big bucks!

Toad

Like the one bob w posted...

Miller/Schofield

Miller-1.jpg

Ok....went and took a couple shots myself...

Not sure why they wouldn't download from the email I got from the kid....but here are two I went and took....not so fancy but basically the same....

Attachments

• OHV Conversion 1.jpg
    OHV Conversion 1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 23
  • OHV Conversion 2.jpg
    OHV Conversion 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
I did find a site about Miller Hi speed head...

Apparently is a repro of the original only in Aluminum....http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com/

Talks about the original conversion without any other mods was good for double the horsepower....86 from 43.....the new set up is about 4K.....kind of pricey to to hop up a 4 banger.....unless you have Trippers money...LOL....:D

Apparently is a repro of the original only in Aluminum....http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com/

Talks about the original conversion without any other mods was good for double the horsepower....86 from 43.....the new set up is about 4K.....kind of pricey to to hop up a 4 banger.....unless you have Trippers money...LOL....:D

The head certainly looks like cast iron in the picture.

Nope you are correct...

The head certainly looks like cast iron in the picture.

What the kid has is cast iron....the new stuff is aluminum....sorry for the confusion....Steve Serr who owns this miller hi speed company is using the original plans to cast new aluminum castings of the same cast iron head....the 31 the kid has is Old stuff, it's all cast iron....his grandpa put them on in the late fifty's or so he was told.....like i said, I've never heard of it till he showed me the motor....but when I googled Schoenfeld (which was on the valve cover) I got the a hit on the Miller site...

Latest posts

Back