Low & Slow: 56 Dodge with MB Turbo Diesel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebob

FWIW, here is my build of a 1956 Dodge truck with Jaguar suspension and Mercedes OM617 turbo diesel. Lots of patina and "Twelve Oak Farms" on the doors that goes back to the original owner.

Before pic

1956Dodge.jpg

Frame, suspension and dirty power train. Frame may be shiny, but the sheet metal will be preserved.

IMG_1051s.jpg

Current status. Cab has been gone over with CLR and scotch brite pads, while the rest of the sheet metal remains to be treated.

IMG_1361.jpg

Interior is next.

Eventually I may replace the old Mercedes bucket of bolts with a more modern (and powerful) turbo diesel. Until then, I'll just be low and slow!

Bob

Welcome to RRR. :D

We are an insatiable bunch when it comes to seeing how the other kids build stuff.

Did somebody ask for more pics???

Well here are a few. More tomorrow.

The Jag suspension is from a late 1980s-early 1990s XJ6. It is an old design, but very strong and readily available. If I build another one, I'll likely take the easy way out and use the original Jag mounts and subframes, rather than what I did on the 56.

Steering rack is from a Dodge Omni. Camber is unadjustable on the Jag front suspension, and camber has only a small adjustment. on my frame, camber and caster are both adjustable with upper a-arm mounts. Front shocks from a new Silverado (someone replaced new shocks with very pricey ones!), converted to adjustable coil-overs.

IMG_6727.jpg

Rear suspension uses the original Jag shock converted to an adjustable coil over, plus overload air bags.

IMG_6729.jpg

Rear bags

IMG_1140s.jpg

Rear sway bar. Schroeder (NASCAR) style, bought used (like everything else!).

IMG_0983.jpg

Bob

Here ya go forbigpicture, skull and anyone else interested.

This is the Electrickery series using salvage yard parts!

Two-speed electric puller fan and shroud from a T'Brid (also some Lincoln Continentals and Taurusi). These are very high flow fans. Turns out that the shroud is a perfect fit for the stock Mercedes radiator.

IMG_1176s.jpg

Fuse box is from the underhood fuse box in Chevy Cavaliers and many GM compacts. Underside of the fuse box is rewired.

Relay on the far left is 75 amp constant duty for the fan. Next to it is a Volvo relay for a two-speed fan connected to a BWM two-speed thermo switch. All from pull-a-part.

The Ford fan/Volvo relay/BMW switch is not my idea. It is somewhat common with street rodders.

IMG_1178.jpg

Fuses and relays are mounted behind the seat so they can be easily accessed by an old man--namely me--who doesn't want to try to stick his head up under dashes again!

Bob

Latest posts

Back