new project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickFish

heres a few pick of my current project, 30 tudor. tops done, next its getting sand blasted. in the process of looking for a rear end and motor/tranny.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 256
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 223
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 225
  • unnamed-6.jpg
    unnamed-6.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 204
  • unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 225
Rear end

I'm starting to look around for a rear end for this car. Some one had told me I should be looking for a 10 bolt out of a 79-92 camero or fire bird. You guys out there have any thoughts or suggestions on this? It's going to be low so I need room to clear the body.

Hi, Mt nephew lives in San Diego.

If anyone says "you ruined it" you can tell them no... "someone else ruined it and I gave it life"

1970-1981 camaro and firebird all have the same 8.5" ring gear 10 bolt at 61" from drum to drum.
1968-1974 nova are the same axle at 60" drum to drum
1982 and up use a 7.5" or something like that ring gear. they are weaker.
Any dana 44 yoy might find out of a jeep, an old ford, old doge etc... will have an 8.5" ring gear and be just as strong as the big 10 bolt chevy/pontiac rear

The ford 8.8 is comparable to the gm car 12 bolt
The chevy TRUCK 12 bolt has the large ring gear but the smaller pinion diameter of the 10 bolt.
The chevy CAR 12 bolt has the large ring gear AND a larger diameter on the pinion shaft than a 10 bolt
Oldsmobile and buick 12 bolts use different hard to find guts. the aftermarket stuff is mostly all chevy.

My own personal opinions
The 8.5" 10 bolt held up behind 400 horsepower big blocks- pontiac never ran a 12 bolt behind those 455's- all 10 bolts.
If I needed more than a 10 bolt I'd run a ford 9" or a dana 60 which are better. 12 bolts are over priced stuff for goldchainers and geeky purists ;D.
the 7.5" 10 bolt from 1982 and newer is fine behind anything under a stock 307. they even hold up for some people behind a 350 if it's not too powerful.

I'd bet a 9" or a dana 44 from an old ford pickup would be a good choice or if too narrow to fit the body between the tires
the 1975-1979 ford trucks have an axle 4" wider

If you can find a s10, they are around 54 in over all I think. Some, I believe 03 and up had the 8.5 10 bolt.

Ford F100 pickups 1980-82 have 9 inch rear with 5X4 1/2 bolt pattern.
I have 2 of those pickups here,a 1981 and 82.
The F150 same year had standard 5X5 1/2.
Why ford made the f100 with 9 inch that had car bolt pattern is mystery to me,but they did.
Maybe they had some leftover station wagon axles??:D

Rear end

We'll thanks for all the info. I found a rear end out of a camaro for a song so I grabed it. Posi, 3.23 and the right width and same bolt pattern as in going to run on the front end. My question now is I need to remove the mounts that are on it and weld on my bag and linkage mounts, I'd imagine that I don't want to heat the rear end up to much to avoid warping it or burning axle seals. Does any one have any words of wisdom?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 35
Got a quote for sandblasting the body, $500-$600 so I decided to do it myself with some paint stripper and a little elbow grease. Now I'm letting Mother Nature take over

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back