1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She Got A Haircut Today!!!

And damn does she look sexy. Got the quarters banged out and finished up the other day so I flipped her right side up, welded the front of the roof to the back and called her a day. Picked up some angle iron from the local place today, put in my braces and off came the top. I visioned it with 2, 3, and 4 inches cut out and decided on 4. It'll be interesting driving because I plan on channelling it 4" also. Anyhow, on with the pictures.

Before the chop:

Taping off my lines:

Not much done today.

Too darn hot. Got a call this morning from a friend and he stumbled across some cars at a mutual acquaintances ranch. So now I'm trying to make a deal on some. Anyhow, chopped the left hand door down to size, removed all the wood out of it, and made a template for the latch side. Trying to decide if I want to use the latches from an old truck I had or order some from speedway. Anyhow, some of today's finds.

Would love to use this cluster in this car.

GMC pickup

Almost perfect Model T coupe.

Half of a phaton

Roadster/phaton cowl

Farmerized pickup. I'm guessing from the ornate trim that it's an Essix or other high end car of the 30s.

Got one of the doors finished today aside from handles and window regulators. I wanna use bear claw latches but it looks like I'll need to use something other than the stock style outer handles. So I may just rob everything from the old pickup doors sitting outside.

It's pretty easy to fab up any kind of handles to work with bear claws. A simple lever is all that is needed and connect to the latch with rods.

Found its heart yesterday.

I am have really decided on a Diesel engine for this build so I've been cruisin craigslist like nonstop for a cheap diesel car. Found an 83 Mercedes Benz 240D for 500 bucks. It runs and drives and it's damn near complete. Plus I have a friend looking for parts for his 79 so definitely gonna grab it while I can. Plan is to use the wiring harness, engine, transmission, rear end, seats, and roof from it. If possible I'll also try to use the front brake setup but I may have to go with something more normal but I'd like to still use the wheels and caps just for the oddity. Here's a picture of the car I found.

Got one door hung today. Well, kind of. Back end is held on by clamps and the front by ratchet straps. It's just to see how the lines will all match up. They're close. Not perfect but close enough lol. I'm going to have to push the bottom of the cowl out just a bit to get the curves to match and the same with the rear. Right now without something holding it at the top and bottom the door wants to be in on the top and push away at the bottom. Here's how she's lookin.

Gonna have to make the framework for the cowl and dash and then try to break the hinges off of the other Left Hand door. Til next time, later.

Latest posts

Back