36 Ford Bobber Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyD

I got the chance to start a new build and, after looking around for awhile found this 36 Ford BB that used to be a sugar beet truck. The cab has some great patina to it and the interior is really complete. There are some issues of coarse but what do you expect right? The guy I got it from is a great old guy and not only delivered it for me but brought his skid steer to get it off the trailer and into my driveway. Now the race is on to get it torn apart and out of my driveway before anyone complains and before the weather starts to turn. I Think I'll be fine as long as I can find someone to haul the carcass off when I'm done. There is a lot of work to come but it's fun to start thinking and planning. This time, I'm going to do a ground up build and do my own frame. I have a lot to learn but it will be fun.

photo%2B1%2B%25287%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%25287%2529.JPG

photo%2B5%2B%25286%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%25283%2529.JPG

I'm pretty excited about this one! Since it's my second build, I get the chance to do things the way I wish I would have done them on my Willys. I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot this time around again. Anyway, the dismantling is under way. I have the fenders and running boards off. Man did they ever use a lot of bolts on those!!! I also have the seat out and the cab vacuumed. It was very mouse infested. After not thinking about it and vacuuming it out without protection, I got kinda freaked about some of the nasty diseases that mice carry so I sprayed the inside of the cab down well with a bleach solution to try to sterilize as well as I can. Anyway, here are a few more pics.

It still had the rubber mat on the floor.

as%2Bfound%2Bdash.JPG

Here it is cleaned out. I'm guessing that plywood isn't original but I have no real idea.

floor%2Bcleaned%2Bup.JPG

Fenders off.

fenders%2Boff%2B2.JPG

fenders%2Boff%2B1.JPG

I haven't tried turning the engine over yet as I'm not planning on using it. I will try here before too long though. It does at least still have some oil in it not that that means too much. It has "Mercury" cast on the heads so it's not the original motor for the truck. The motor mounts have been welded too so they were clearly modified at some point. The clutch works as far as I can tell. It held and released as expected when we were pulling it around.

If anyone wants the running gear and chassis, it's up for grabs cheap if you want to deal with getting it by the way.

I had a couple of friends over this weekend and we tore the box apart on the truck. It was quite the messy projects but we were able to salvage some cool barn wood pieces for other projects. I am keeping some of the stuff to use in the bobber as well. there were lots of rotten bolts and a bunch of rotten wood that had to be cut out! The whole box was home built it seems. The hydraulics are massive!

It looks like the truck was originally off white and then somewhere along the line, someone painted it green. Looks like the didn't bother prepping the bakc of the cab though because all of the green is gone leaving the original paint in impressively good condition back there. It's even still shiny!

photo%2B4%2B%25289%2529.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%252810%2529.JPG

photo%2B1%2B%25289%2529.JPG

photo%2B5%2B%25287%2529.JPG

photo%2B4%2B%25288%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%25289%2529.JPG

They have been very cool about it so far. Now I just need to get it finished up and get the carcass out of there so I can clean everything back up!

I'm watching this one Willy, and will continue to watch as I have almost finished a '36, [just the correcting of mistakes left]. [36 Ford truck on Ranger]
I made mine in a little different style than yours will go but you'll see something on mine, I hope, that clicks the old light-bulb on. Good luck.

I got the cab pulled last night. I was going to wait for a buddy to help but had the itch to get it done and the weather is supposed to be turned bad soon so I wanted that part done. Now if I can just get the remains out of my driveway soon, I'll be sitting pretty good. Not too bad progress for having it 9 days!

cab%2Boff%2B1.JPG

photo%2B2%2B%252811%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%252810%2529.JPG

Looks like a great cab to start with. You made fast work of the teardown. These cabs make the best looking bobbers but you can run out of room inside of one fast.I'll be wathing.

Ya, room inside is definitely a concern. My Willys is tight and it's a bit of a bigger cab. I'm fairly sure that I'm not going to channel this the Ford. I channeled my Willys about 4.5" and you really notice it. I am planning to chop this Ford though so I'll need to get the seats that I want to use and set them up in there and mock up ceiling heights to make sure there is enough room to sit. It's going to be quite the adventure.

Latest posts

Back