Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen one of this body style before, any idea of the production number of these? Amazing how close it is to the new version, or rather how much they poached from this design....[P[P[cl[cl

As far as I know this is the only one in existence. Here's the story I got from the PO in Montana.

"My father inherited a somewhat unique vehicle about a year ago.

Dad inherited the truck from his friend, Hank, who was a master welder. The truck was built in the 1960's into a short-box extended cab (2-door) to accommodate Hank's growing family. The box was shortened, the cab was extended using a wagon cab. I don't think the frame was altered. A SBC was installed, the truck was driven into the '80's, but then sat outside for some years (we don't know how many). In the late '90's Hank put it in his shop to redo it, but never progressed too far.

Edit: Appears I had the year wrong. The title says 1948, but it appears that the cab is later, likely 1952-1953. I expect that Hank had a truck, and obtained a wagon that he cut down to make the body that is on it now. He likely did that while he was still driving the truck, as it was his primary vehicle for many years."

The plan,,,,,

Since I have no photo shop skills I had to do the old school cut and paste with scissors and shade with a pencil.

Attachments

• IMG-2733-4.jpg
    IMG-2733-4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 31
And so it begins......

I got some dismantling done yesterday.
With a little more old style photo shopping I removed the angle on the rear of the cab. Then I moved the axle and rear fender back 7". Hopefully I can get the fender level when I actually do the deed.

I think this improved the way it looks from the side without changing the over all length.

Opinions?? Comments??

Attachments

• IMG-2757.jpg
    IMG-2757.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2761.jpg
    IMG-2761.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2762.jpg
    IMG-2762.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-2772.jpg
    IMG-2772.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2774.jpg
    IMG-2774.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2778.jpg
    IMG-2778.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2781.jpg
    IMG-2781.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2780.jpg
    IMG-2780.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2787.jpg
    IMG-2787.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 33
I don't know where the "Master welder" was on this project! :eek::eek:

Kinda a cobbled up mess from what I see!! It's going to take a bit of time to knock the ugly off the fire wall.

Attachments

• IMG-2762-3.jpg
    IMG-2762-3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-2758.jpg
    IMG-2758.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-2783.jpg
    IMG-2783.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 33
Digging the house paneling door panels! :cool:

Looks like it was a use what he had builds, whatever was laying around, automotive or not.

Got confidence you can knock the rough off of it Pops![cl

Out of position and sheet metal stick welding can be messy. Don't know if that is the case on this project.
It will be super cool when you get it finished. I'll be watching from the peanut gallery.

Your drawing looks good.

That "welding" is terrible.

Looks like you have an early 283 with front engine mounts.(???) Just to satisfy my curiosity, can you post the casting numbers?

Your changes look good, POPS.[cl :cool:
I did the inside of a van with that exact paneling waaaaay back when.:eek: :p
This thing was most likely built Waaaaay back then when every one had a Arc welder and that's what was used on frames. Save it and make some yard art out of it.:p
[P [P [P
Torchie

i like the squared off back of the cab much better. I had a whole living room full of that stuff in the 70s. :D

Digging the house paneling door panels! :cool:
Looks like it was a use what he had builds, whatever was laying around, automotive or not.
Got confidence you can knock the rough off of it Pops![cl

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bama.
Gotta love the paneling but I think I'll replace it with something else.

Out of position and sheet metal stick welding can be messy. Don't know if that is the case on this project.
It will be super cool when you get it finished. I'll be watching from the peanut gallery.

Thanks Bob. It's going to be interesting.

Your changes look good, POPS.[cl :cool:
I did the inside of a van with that exact paneling waaaaay back when.:eek: :p
This thing was most likely built Waaaaay back then when every one had a Arc welder and that's what was used on frames. Save it and make some yard art out of it.:p
[P [P [P
Torchie

The paneling is classsy in it's own kinda way.
Every one had a welder but not every one could actually weld.

i like the squared off back of the cab much better. I had a whole living room full of that stuff in the 70s. :D

Me too on the cab.
I put some of the paneling up Then I took it down when we remodeled our house 25 years later.

great start! [cl[cl

I think it has potential. [S

Road trip-again!!!!

New Years Day my current wife and I crawled in the pickup at 4:00 AM and went to Carbondale, Colorado to pick up the donor for this project.
18 hrs.-988 miles and 60 gallons of diesel we pulled back in the gate at 10:00 PM.

It was a great trip with lots of beautiful snowy scenery with clear roads and cold temperatures. Check out the picture in that canyon. There is a river, a set of railroad tracks, and a uniquely built 4 lane hiway all in that narrow canyon.

I found what I've been looking for:
1995 Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab
5.2 Magnum (318) fuel injected engine
518 46RH transmission
Detroit Lockers in the front and rear axles.
Good tires

The guy wanted $1000 for it and I got it for $750. He thought the fuel injection system was junk cause he couldn't get it to start after stalling.

I went out to the shop this afternoon and poured some gas down its throat and it started and ran while squirting gas in it. After about thirty minutes I found the electrical connector on the top of the in-tank fuel pump was corroded.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-2838.jpg
    IMG-2838.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-2839.jpg
    IMG-2839.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 37
  • ROAD TRIP.jpg
    ROAD TRIP.jpg