46 chevy pkup issue

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramps24

Hi you all. I am new to the forum and have an issue with my 46 Chevy pkup I am working on and have a couple questions.
First, I am having the body fitted on a 1990 S-10 frame. Along with that, I have a Chevy 350 set in the frame but now have a possible steering issue. I wanted to use the original radiator but when mounted it is too low and the steering box is in the way.
Question- does anyone know of a radiator that would work and NOT be a issue with the steering box. If I do use this radiator, than what about a rack and pinion unit that would work and still get the steering shaft over the main cross member.
I would really like to take the easy way, radiator, as I don't know a lot about steering.
This is being done by a friend who is a welder/fabricator/mechanic all in one.
Sorry for being so long winded.
Thanks all.

Nice truck. would like to see more of it.
Thanks for your information. I will pass it along to my welder. Is there by chance a radiator from a donor car or truck that would work just as well. Just trying to help keep costs down. that's why I don't want to get into a rack & pinion if I can help it. This was supposed to be a "back yard" type rod. Time will tell.

Here's the one Im using in my 53, just a little bracket modification.

attachment.php

So what is this radiator out of??
Do you have any pictures of the motor and firewall area?
Whish I was that talented, that's why I am having someone else doing the fab work for me.
Forgot-- nice work as well.

This is a Speedway aluminum universal Chevy radiator for $119 + frt.
I used this one in the 51 AD !9" high 22" wide
917347_L_1ac47231.jpg

I forgot one thing-- Can I put a auto transmission cooler in front of this or should I be looking for something with the cooler inside the radiator??
Just so your not wondering, this is a FIRST for me. Everything in new to me.
Thanks again.
For some reason, I put this in the wrong location- should have been in the engine posts. Sorry

You don't have to put the cooler anywhere around the radiator either. It can be mounted on the frame horizontal or vertical back near the tranny.

Latest posts

Back