How long does a carb rebuild last

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
I had a Holley 600 rebuilt about 2 years ago . I was going to use it on a truck I had but ,I sold the truck. I put it in a box+put it in the closet. I plan to use it soon. Do you think it would be ok? Is their anything I should do to it before I install it?

Ive had a holley 650 for about 9 years now running off and on another quad thats been in my vette for about 15 years Knock on wood they will work next time I turn the key ,, but the motorcraft pump diaphragms go out less than a year ,Ive put 3 in mine in the last 3 or 4 years now. I guess if the ethanol gas was dried up enough , maybe it didnt leave the white crud in there ,, Id say try it ..

I think I'd check the fuel bowls for crud. If it doesn't look too bad try it. Look for white flakes or black rubber leftovers. Ethanol doesn't sit too long without leaving some problems.

I never installed it , never used it. No old gas in it,ect. I just dont know if something can dry out,or dry rot,or something like that? Thax for the replys

I've had good luck with off the shelf old carbs. Might consider picking up some Seafoam gas treatment spray do the main jets and air adjustment screws. If not that put some fuel in through the vent pipe and look for leaks.
good luck, hope it works.

The new one at the parts store might have been sitting that long. They usually work.

I am thinking it will be fine.

One thing for sure, if it does have some leak issues, they will likely go away, and worst case is it might need to gaskets or something. At least you won't have to clean it.

I have had my pickup for 21 years and just did 3rd rebuild on it.
It usually just needs the needle valve and float changed.
I look for trouble now with the ethanol.probably be doing it a lot more often:(
Holleys are great carbs,it will probably run just fine.

Gummy from ethanol gas

I just rebuilt an Edelbrock carb that sat on the car for 3 years. It would hardly run. The gas we have with ethanol leaves a residue resembling tar.

BUT, the main reason for jumping on board this thread is I tried a new carb cleaning method. Took the carb apart and put it in a stock pot with half lemon juice and half wter. Boiled it on a hot plate for half an hour. Washed off with a hose and blew out the passages with compressed air. It worked quite well. Next time I'll scrub the parts with dish soap and hot water after removing from the juice bath.

Anybody else have a good carb cleaning method?

Latest posts

Back