Points ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey all.
Thinkin I may do a cap n condenser n points change on the caddy.
Im wantin to try this myself as I need to learn it.
Ive got no fancy tools so I gotta do it old school. My Gpa used to use a match book as reference..lol Any pointers?? LOL get it..Points...Pointer???
Anyways, tnx for any help. RR[cl

If you have a dwell meter, it's easy. Probably 30 degrees dwell. Otherwise I think you can turn in the adjuster until it starts missing and then back it off about a 1/2 turn? Honestly, I might of dreamed that [S - I have a dwell meter I use.

The match book really does work.
The points set at .017 which is about the thickness of a match book cover.

photo2.jpg

The match book really does work.
The points set at .017 which is about the thickness of a match book cover.

photo2.jpg

I have to agree with OI, was thought that way in 54, couldn't afford a feeler gauge.
Sam's way works well in GMC dist, not so much on the Ford's.

A decent feeler gauge can be purchased for under $5, then you can do the job correctly. Not really a "fancy tool", and a standard item for any toolbox. You will also need it for gapping plugs, etc. If you need to learn it then doing it the right way helps.

I agree with all of the above opinions, but especially with B-E-D. You CAN afford a feeler gauge, and you will use it for points, sparkplugs, rocker arms, and some other things in your hotroding life. Become the proud owner of a feeler gauge.

I agree with the guys, every toolbox should contain feeler gauges... but, a matchbook cover works well and a clean one will avoid contamination. (Points don't like oil, grease and dirt.)

Point gap is the coarse adjustment. Dwell is the fine adjustment. (A dwell meter is the only way to get it right on the money!) Buy, beg, borrow or steal a dwell meter.

Get the better plated or brass feeler gauges, they won't rust like the cheapo ones. Which reminds me, I haven't seem my brass ones in a while, need to find them.....

My Pa In Law says adjust points the thickness of a worn dime. Finding a worn dime anymore is the problem....

My 53 had a book of matches in the glove box when i bought it. It had to have been at least 30 years old. I keep it in there for novelty, but i use a feeler gauge.

Latest posts

Back