Baby Hemi

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
:D:D I'm finally first at something. This is a Baby Hemi with 270 ci displacement. It came out of a 1955 gravel truck that eventually got turned into a grain truck. For about twenty years, I hauled gravel alongside the guy who bought this truck new. He had earned the name 'Cannonball' for the way he drove that poor old Dodge truck.
I am putting it in a 1934 Plymouth five window coupe. The truck bellhousing is still on there and an A833 NP four speed is out the back.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1432.jpg
    IMG_1432.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 138
I had one of these that someone had stuck in a New Yorker. Traded it off for 5 running Chevys. Wish I still had it. Be a very cool rat motor!

I have a 270 in a truck body, cool engine. I had a 241 in a '39 IHC back in school in the '60's, loved the engine, hated the transmission! ( Powerflite 2-spd, all I could find.)

Yes, I'll bet in the past, it was harder to bolt up the transmission of your choice to a Hemi. Now-a-days there seems to be a few more adapters so popular transmissions can be hooked up. I made my own adapter, though, to mount an A833 New Process to the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 82
I have a 270 in a truck body, cool engine. I had a 241 in a '39 IHC back in school in the '60's, loved the engine, hated the transmission! ( Powerflite 2-spd, all I could find.)

My 54 Dodge 241 had a bizarro 2 speed stick with overdrive and a fluid clutch. Final gear you had to back off the throttle to idle then it shifted, not good for drag racing.

Willow...That's a Gyromatic transmission, my brother had that combo in a'53 Coronet. Loved the car, hated the tranny!

Latest posts

Back