Inline filter problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junker39

Just a heads up on a possible problem. I have a ⅜" Wix inline filter mounted between the tank and fuel pump just in case I didn't get the tank washed out real good. The other day, I was out running around town, when the Ghia acted like it was running out of gas. It finally stopped and on investigating, I found that filter was pretty dirty. So, I replaced it and all was good for about two miles. Then, it crapped out again. The pump would run but I wasn't getting any gas up the the regulator. So, I pulled the pump apart and found the inlet fitting and inside screen plugged with debris. The new filter was still clean. I got everything cleaned out and back together and it runs good pressure and flow. I dug the old filter out of the trash and discovered the element had dislodged from the inlet side of the plastic casing. It was letting the flow go around the filter instead of thru it. I don't know if it has something to do with the ethanol in the gas or maybe the Berrymans gas treatment I always run but, that's how the pump got plugged up. It wasn't but maybe a spoonful of crud but, it was enough. So, if anybody has a plastic inline filter installed in your system, keep this in mind if you start having fuel delivery problems. That's all.

Thanks for the heads up.It seems like everything is made by 12 yr olds from a foreign country. :D

Those little in line filters are useless. Get a good spin on or paper element filter and put that in line. It will trap debris down to 10 microns. They sell them at marine stores and on line.

Don

Yeah, I've got a full size spin on for it, I plan to put up front between the regulator and carb. I just wanted the extra protection for the pump for a while. The tank should be clean now after four tank fulls.

Those little in line filters are useless. Get a good spin on or paper element filter and put that in line. It will trap debris down to 10 microns. They sell them at marine stores and on line.

Don

You must be right on the use-less part I still have problems with my ford and thats all i have on my frame ..

I think I may just leave the one before the pump. It sure doesn't hurt anything. And I've got a good spin-on I'll put before the regulator. It was going up between the reg and carb but, there's no place to put it away from the header heat.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 16
on my dodge i run a small inline metal filter before the lift pump and then the big canister one.
my aftermarket lift pumps warranty is negated if i dont use one.

My Carter fuel pump instructions said to use a filter before the pump. I've got a spin-on filter with a water drain-cock, and I've never had any issues with it in about 10 years or so. I have drained water out of it too, so that's nice that it catches water. I can't think of any reason not to filter the entire fuel system. :confused:
Oh, and I've never had to replace the pump.

One more thing: ethanol

• Ethanol creates 34 percent less energy than unadulterated gasoline per gallon.
  • Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water more easily than gasoline. That leads to water condensation inside fuel tanks, carburetor fuel bowls and fuel lines where air spaces are present. Water content in fuel will also swell up the paper filter media inside fuel filters not specifically designed for flex fuels and can thus restrict fuel flow at the filter.
  • Ethanol also erodes fiberglass tanks, rubber hoses and plastic fuel lines. It contributes to rust in fuel systems by creating condensation in the unfilled portion of gas tanks. It will also dissolve varnish and rust in steel fuel components.
  • Ethanol alcohol, an excellent solvent, can dissolve fuel system parts, rubbers, plastic, certain fiberglass, and even aluminum. The rubber that is used in fuel system parts, such as seals and hoses, may shrink, swell, or lose strength when exposed to ethanol reformulated gasoline.

Last edited:
I guess I'll mount the screw-on filter before the pump. I'll get a filter with a drain next change. And leave the small inline up front after the regulator. I've seen inside of fuel hoses turn to crap because of this wonderful gas we've got now. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back