My 1939 Ford PU Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im looking for some opinions on wheather to mount my spun aluminum gas tank exposed above the bed rails or wheather I should just conceal it between the frame rails and under the tonneau cover. I looked at it both ways and I cant decide. I will post some pics I guess to help.

First, the truck is looking great.

As for the tank, my vote is to mount it lower than the top of the bed rails. I think it looks cleaner that way. Just my opinion though.

Just another pic or two for reference, here's how I mounted the tank in my little Anglia truck.

Finally got back in the garage. I have a three year old and some times time is tight. He loves being in the garage though, but it is hard to explain why he cant look at the bright light coming from the electrode. He just looks at me like "what?"
Anyways I drilled the radius arm plates that I welded in. I used 1/8" plate and drilled 2" holes with a carbide hole cutter from Grainger. Used some cutting oil from work that Lawson makes.
These have problably been done a million times but it was cool to do my first set.
A little detail work for the front end of the truck. Hope to install them tonight and get on welding the shock towers.
speedholesdanpaint003.jpg

I ran into a big snag with my truck this week. I made up some rails to mount the bed to the trucks frame and found some problems.
1.) When I bought the frame the coil overs where mounted at the edges of the rear frame which made it a problem to get the bolts off. So I notched the bed mounting rails figuring I would get around it that way. No go.
2.) The horizontal sections of the frame behind the kick up are not level with the bottom of the frame or the floor. So the bed rail mounts dont line up.
Some people may see it as no big deal because it is cosmetic but every time I look at it I think it looks like sh!&.
Tomorrow night I am going to cut the whole back of the frame off and do it differently.
Two steps backward I go:mad:
The pictures attached are from yesterday. I will post the repaired kick up pictures when I am done.
BB
kickupmod001.jpg

kickupmod002.jpg

I thought those radius arms were supposed to flex? Im surprised to see you fill them in with metal. Are you running a tube axle?

I have always understood that a tube type front end is better suited to 4 link bars, instead of hairpins. And Hairpins work best on I beam style front axles. But I am not sure where I got that idea. I may be way off. but I'll try to find more info on the subject. I like the look of the paltes in the hairpins, nice work.

I have always understood that a tube type front end is better suited to 4 link bars, instead of hairpins. And Hairpins work best on I beam style front axles. But I am not sure where I got that idea. I may be way off. but I'll try to find more info on the subject. I like the look of the paltes in the hairpins, nice work.

I've heard and read the same thing. But I've also heard and read that some people have been running hairpin on tube axles for years with no problems.

Boltbreaker,
I was told that isn't going backwards it's R&D (research and development)! :D

I thought the back wheels were too far back in the first pics until I see your bed come together and now it looks just right, good to see a longer bed. Nice vision for the propotions, very well thought out.

I thought the back wheels were too far back in the first pics until I see your bed come together and now it looks just right, good to see a longer bed. Nice vision for the propotions, very well thought out.

Thanks for the kind words.
It has been a whole lot of trial and error being my first build, but I think it's coming together.

I cut all the steel to replace the back end of the frame. I will tac it up tomorrow. I need one piece of info before I tac up the coil backets.
Does anyone know the over all height of a 8.0X15, or a 8.20X15 cheater slick?
I am not seeing it on Firestone or Radirs website.
Any help is appreciated.
BB

I have a bit of advice for the new guys getting started on a project with an attached garage and a toddler.
DONT MAKE THE BEDROOM ATTACHED TO THE GARAGE THE KIDS ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
noisy work stops at 8pm daily, and nap time from 1pm-3pm.:eek::eek:

(can you tell I am strapped for time lately)

Does anyone know the over all height of a 8.0X15, or a 8.20X15 cheater slick?
I am not seeing it on Firestone or Radirs website.
Any help is appreciated.
BB

These are the Radir specs. I have the 10.00-15 cheaters on my Anglia.

8.20-15" 29" diameter

10.00-15" 29-1/4" diameter

The 8.20-15 Coker/Firestone is listed as being 30.5 inches in diameter. I don't think either Coker/Firestone or Radir lists an 8.00 cheater, but I think Hurst does. Just be aware those are recaps.

I changed my mind on the type of bed I was going to use on my truck so I had to redo the rear frame. If you look at my first set of post pictures you will see how it was. I cut everything to size and had a certified welder come in because it was a frame. The lower coil overs are Speedway Motor units and the top ones I made.
The front upper cross member is for the gas tank and to tie in the frame.
I may have gone a little over board with the gussets:D

framedonebus002.jpg

framedonebus013.jpg

framedonebus015.jpg

Got the bed remounted onto the new rear frame. Mounted the gas tank as well. The canvas cover is just temporary to see what the area would look like covered. I am thinking about cutting a piece of 1/8" dull aluminum diamond plate and using that for a tonneau cover. The tailgate still needs to be cut downand mounted and the stake pockets and rail tubing installed. All that will get done after I dissassemble and send the chassis to powder coat.
The truck sits about 6" off the ground with no battery/fuel or me.
I also wanded down the driver side of the truck because the light green paint / patina wasnt workin for me.

danbikenewbedframe008.jpg

danbikenewbedframe009.jpg

danbikenewbedframe007.jpg

If all goes well I will have this thing stripped and off to the powder coater in the next two weeks. I only have some minor fab stuff left.

Ideas what colors to paint the chassis and wheels????? I am really on the fence about which way to go. I think the frame matte siver and the wheels black. I am going with wide whites. Silvertones on the front and cheaters out back if Santa is real nice.(hopefully she will be naughty instead of nice this year:D)
The cab will stay dark green and the bed and grill shell will be fogged in green and let naturally rust:D

Any ideas????

I've always liked lighter colors on the frame and suspension pieces. It makes them stand out better. It takes a little more to keep them clean but that's the trade off.

Wheel color anything but red, althiough it looks good its way overdone. Dark metallic gray or something to compliment or match the body color.

REALLY??? Well, I do a LOT of R&D then!! yuk yuk yuk :rolleyes:

I've heard and read the same thing. But I've also heard and read that some people have been running hairpin on tube axles for years with no problems.

Boltbreaker,
I was told that isn't going backwards it's R&D (research and development)! :D

Latest posts

Back