40 chevy 1/2 ton (first build)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks but it don't feel like much. Ordering gear box and steering column tonight. Already got steering arms in. May go ahead and order front disc brake conversion to. Then I can measure for tie rod and drag link.

Got my column, pitman arm, vega gear box in. I was going to order my disc brake conversion kit but ran into a snag. Posted a thread in brakes section. Hoping some one can help me out.

I haven't looked at my parts that came in a week or so ago, because I didn't have the parts to work on the steering at the time. Decided I was going to get cab mounts tacked in and plates on bottom of cab for support tacked in. Then start building frame for bed and getting it tacked in. So yesterday when i was finishing up for the day I decided to see what the gear box and column looked like and about where they might go. when I opened the column the bag was open and some one had been grinding on the end of the column. It was pretty bad. Called today and got it sent back for exchange. Also got the basic disc brake conversion kit in today but have to go get the rest of the stuff at the auto parts store. I think I got the bed about as good as its going to get as far a looking right proportion wise. Still thinking it needs a chop. But in person the cab doesn't look as tall. Anyway a couple of pics. for now.

bed frame installed (Small).jpg
Bed where I think its going to stay. What do you think? Going to get a taller tire in rear to make the bed look shorter.

bed framed tacked in (Small).jpg
Bed frame tacked in and ready to weld up.

Last edited:
Haven't got anything done lately because I had mom and grandmother in town last week and my kid and grandkid coming this week. Thought I would post a side view pic to get opinions on proportions before I weld cab and bed mounts. Looks like it's the best it's going to get.

truck side view (Small) (2).jpg

Thanks. Loving your truck! Eventually I want to find a complete truck to build. But gotta start somewhere. Keeping it simple with this one to get the basics and so I'll finish it. Next one I'll know more and spend a little more time on more fabricating and detail.

Well I haven't gotten anything done lately. Had family come in town 2 weeks in a row and it's been so hot lately. It's been 100 plus degress for a few weeks. Did get the boat in shape and took it to the lake for a few hours. Now it says big chance of rain basically from tomorrow thru sunday after next. I guess I won't get much done next week either.

I did pick up a seat for the truck. Got a heck of a deal for $40. It could have been a few inches wider but it'll be fine. I'll plate the top of the seat pedestal on the ends so it's not open. It's in great shape and folds forward or backwards and it's super comfortable. It's just sitting in there to see how it fit, so its sitting crooked
seat 1 (Small).jpg

seat 2 (Small).jpg

I don't know. The guy I got it from said he didn't know. He bought it at an auction with a bunch of other stuff. I do know it was a third row seat. It's 43" wide.

Well haven't had a chance to do much lately. Just got back in town from training for a week. Got to go again the 18th for a week. Did get a shifter and gauge cluster.
Sitting here yesterday and decided to paint rotors and calipers. Then I started stripping the old drums and brakes off the front to install the disc brake conversion. Figured I have 5 days off and knock that out and work on floor. Got the adaptors out and of course they don't fit. Don't know if maybe the front axle was changed years ago or if they sent me the wrong adaptors, but I'll have to call them Tuesday to try to get it straightened out. Also my pitman arm doesn't fit. I'll have to send it back and order one from where I got the gearbox. Should have done that to start with. Guess I'll work on patterns for the floor for now and maybe the rear calipers and rotors.

If anyone knows what the axle diameter is or where I could find out I would greatly appreciate it.

adapter for disc conversion (Small).jpg
The lip inside is how much smaller the new adapter is compared to the old one

calipers (Small).JPG
Painted calipers

rotors (Small).JPG
Painted rotors even finned area to keep them from rusting up

shifter (Small).jpg
the shifter I'll be using without a cover to look more mechanical and older hot rod look

I was hopeing to be about done by now but glad I didn't get in to big of a hurry. By spreading it out I have ran across a lot of parts that fit the build better than if I would have by just getting what ever I could find at the time. I'll get it done soon enough.

I sent the basic disc brake kit back and they are sending the other kit. Looks like it may be a 41 -54 kit. So either it's a 41 or someone has changed spindles or axle at one point. Should be about a week before I get the new kit in. Also sent pitman arm back. Will be ordering another one soon. Going to try to get front end changed over before I go back out of town.

Dang been a year since I updated. So much going on. Changed jobs and been working about 25 hrs OT a week. Then coming home working on projects all summer. All projects are done for this year now. Good thing is one of the projects was having me a shop built. Got everything moved from garage to shop but still have to run electric out to it.

Haven’t gotten much done to the truck. Did manage to finally get king pins replaced and had a few hours Saturday that I went out there and installed driver side disc brake conversion kit and steering arm. But not sure what to do about the castle but being to far in where the cotter pin won’t fit in nut. Has anyone done a brake conversion and would putting more washers solve my problem or a spacer maybe?

Hopefully now other projects are done I can get back to the truck again.
651ADA83-B561-4CBE-ABE6-C9DA4DDA4828.jpg

This is the problem...
FFC2EED7-41AD-409D-9618-2A6A08F13812.jpg

Project truck in the new shop
FCF47D90-D966-4E91-892E-78EB6BC58CD6.jpg

5D7D2BA8-17B3-4D3D-B68C-60A80C552627.jpg

Latest posts

Back