before and after..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reviving another old thread.
My first real old rod.
Picked it up in a stone quarry, drug it home, built a car, and drove it 66,000 miles, built a truck, sold the car. Hit the road in May 1995. At home, just before leaving. Have no other pictures of it.

Attachments

• 100_0790.jpg
    100_0790.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 50 Dodge 4x4 051.jpg
    50 Dodge 4x4 051.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 12
Reviving another old thread.
My first real old rod.
Picked it up in a stone quarry, drug it home, built a car, and drove it 66,000 miles, built a truck, sold the car. Hit the road in May 1995. At home, just before leaving. Have no other pictures of it.

Kinda sounds like you drove the wheels off of it for sure...any idea if the ole hot rod is still alive and kicking?

MikeC

Mike,
I sold the car in Iowa sometime around 2001 or 2002, and about a year later I saw it on ebay. I have no idea what happened to it or where it might be these days. It was flat black with multicolored flames on it when I sold it. It was a rat rod before its time, honestly, I would be surprised if it was still around.

It sure served our purpose, and I got enough out of it to fund the "new" truck, which was already on the road.

I have a different one. I needed a new work truck (not the truck that replaced the 35 above).
My son grew up with Dad having hot rods. When he was 14, he decided he wanted a cool truck. We were out at a local junk yard and he saw the cool truck he wanted. A 1950 Dodge 2 ton, sitting on top of a pile of tires. Pic 1 & 2) I warned him that was a very big project, but you know kids... We brought home the cab and front frame. Pic 3) I had a mid 70s Dodge pickup that had a decent frame. His grandpa sandblasted the frame, and my son painted it with a brush. We got as far as setting the cab on the painted frame, but then the project overwhelmed him, a lot.
I found him a a project that was much easier, and bought it for him, and took the 50 truck in exchange. We got the new project running so he could drive it to school his senior year. (I don't have pictures of it).
The 50 was sitting in my shop, I already had a 2 wheel drive truck (the one that did replace the 35) so I really didn't need 2 old trucks. What I needed was a 4x4, my old one was in really bad shape, and I used it to plow the snow off the driveway. Then I stumbled by a 4x4 short box Dodge with rusted out sheet metal, and a rebuilt transmission and a running 360 Dodge motor for really cheap. I found a new home for the 50 cab & front sheet metal.
The project had to move fast, I was going to move my shop and the new place was smaller. I knew from the 2wd frame, the motor and the firewall wanted to be in the same place, and time really didn't allow for all the mess of cutting the firewall. I would lift the cab up high enough for the motor to set under the angled part of the floor, about 4" above the frame. That made the progress really fast. Extend the cab mounts up, brace the cab floor, bolt it together. Throw in a pair of bucket seats, extend the steering column shaft & brake lines to mount the booster on the firewall, and within a couple month, a running and moving truck. The modify the rusty front fenders to look OK, bolt the front panel on, make the headlights work. All that was left was a bed. A few sheets of 18 gauge and a borrowed metal break and I had bed sides. Bolt on fenders, weld in a sheet of 11 gauge for the floor and a quick tube framed and expanded metal tailgate, odds and ends, brush on some red oxide primmer and I had a functioning truck. I took the snow plow of my old truck and bolted it to the 50. Over the years it got some body work, and cheap Farm & Fleet oil based paint. A few patches along the way.
I got 12 years of hard service out of Big Blue before it got totaled when some cell phone lady turned left in front of me. The last pic is Big Blue bringing home my 48 Plymouth. about a month later it got killed.

Attachments

• 50 Dodge 4x4 044.jpg
    50 Dodge 4x4 044.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 50 Dodge 4x4.jpg
    50 Dodge 4x4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 50 Dodge 4x4 045.jpg
    50 Dodge 4x4 045.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 50 Dodge 4x4 042.jpg
    50 Dodge 4x4 042.jpg