Now I see why !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I've always heard that you should never use regular sockets on an impact wrench because they could fracture. But I've done it a million times, used a regular one because it fits better and I was too lazy to get the impact sockets out.

Today I was removing the transmission from the 3.8 Mustang motor and I was using a half inch drive impact with a reducer and regular 3/8 sockets because the bolts were in a tight spot and the 3/8 stuff fit better in there. I also had a flex u joint in with the extension. As I was starting to remove the one bolt the u joint blew apart into about 4 pieces ! :eek: Luckily, I had gloves on but it still hurt like mad when the shrapnel hit my hand.

Guess what I will not be doing any more ? :eek::eek:

Don

I've never liked using a U joint with an impact, but sometimes it just can't be helped. Your U joint was probably weak anyway Don, and the additional torque of the impact finished it off quick. I've used normal sockets and impacts both for years, and prefer the normal ones most of the time. Like you said, they just seem to fit better. I've stripped a few cheapo sockets out over the years with an impact, even cracked a few down the side. Good sockets it doesn't seem to hurt, unless you have something really stuck and just keep hammering on it.

Eh, it couldn't possibly ever happen to you more than once in a lifetime, so you're safe now, right? [ddd

That's one of those things that if you saw someone else about to do it, you'd call them on it. But somehow it makes sense at the time for you to do it. [S

At least you learned without serious injury.

I use regular sockets a lot. If I break them I just throw them away :rolleyes:
I never use regular swivels, they aggravate me :mad:
They make swivels for impacts that actually work better :cool:
I use swivel sockets made for impacts.

I have a 3/8 impact swivel that I got for that reason. It dont always work since its a larger diameter than a regular swivel. Glad you didnt get any serious damage to yourself.

I always figured that I would somehow get hurt if I did that.
I am glad you didn't get seriously injured!

Yeah, impact sockets are specially built to withstand the stress of an impact gun. Regular sockets arent designed to withstand the vibration of an impact gun.
Thats why you always want to wear safety glasses with an impact gun because you never know when something is going to snap and go flying.

all of my flex sockets for impacts are ball type...

But put those into a bind and I guarantee it will come apart like a bomb...and I'm talking mac and snap on...not HF ones....so no matter what...be darn careful using an impact with a flex of any kind...break it loose by hand first then spin it off with the gun....Just an old fart giving advise to the youngin's....been there...done that....

But put those into a bind and I guarantee it will come apart like a bomb...and I'm talking mac and snap on...not HF ones....so no matter what...be darn careful using an impact with a flex of any kind...break it loose by hand first then spin it off with the gun....Just an old fart giving advise to the youngin's....been there...done that....
We get to be old farts by surviving the stupid things we do as younguns.

Done it, too. I have a great scar on the back of my hand because I didn't think I needed to clamp a piece of sheet metal down before going after it with a sawsall! I can hold it. Its just one little cut. :eek: Those suckers can jump fast.

When I worked as a tech I can't tell you the number of times the socket slipped off the bolt/nut while using a swivel...Usually at 100% trigger pull...then the socket wings around on the end until it comes off usually hitting me in the mouth...[cl

Latest posts

Back