Keeping original paint / patina?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fin

I´m keeping the old paint / patina on my -54 but as you know it needs some sort of protection (aso it would like like **** when partially wet without anything). My first thought was simply to use matt clear coat but I want to do something else, because that´s so obvious :p

I´ve read about wd40 treatment / waxing and other ways to do it but "other"
good ideas are appreciated.

Some things look great when partially wet with nothing on them. :rolleyes:

It's a matter of taste in reality. Show some pictures with it dry, and partially wet, and completely wet. Then we can really make an educated vote on the matter.

Always keep in mind, though, you are building it for you, not me or him, or some other person. :D

I know what I am doing with mine.

I use permalac. It is a clear yes but it is designed to stick to bare metal. It will also bond to painted surfaces along with wood and some other surfaces. Give us some pics so we can help ya out!

Ok, here´s a bad picture of the project wagon.Rear wheelwell will have some paint on it.)
IMG_0452.jpg
All I want is to make the paint look pretty much the same whether it´s dry or wet and make that the easiest way possible.

A guy at H.A.M.B. suggested Flood Penetrol.
Any thoughts?

As straight as that body looks, I'd have to put a two tone shiney paint job on it.[ddd
Never have understood wanting old faded out paint, but that's just me....:rolleyes:

Ok. My 2 cents.

Putting any kind of Clear coat over patina can cause problems down the road with adhesion.Most likely it will flake off.Except when you want to paint the whole thing then it will stick like p**p to a bed sheet.[ddd
Using any kind of oil treatment(Like Kroil) can give you problem with it collecting lots of dust and dirt. Plus if and when you go to paint it then you have to be sure to neutralize it really well or it will contaminate your paint and you will have issues as well. Lots of old,old timers used to rub their Model T's down with just plain oil and they looked great until you...1. Rubbed your hand over it and got all oily. Or 2. Drove down a dirt road.
I would just leave it the way that it is. That's why they call it patina. But hey. That's just my opinion.
Nice wagon.:cool:
Torchie

Ok. My 2 cents.

Putting any kind of Clear coat over patina can cause problems down the road with adhesion.Most likely it will flake off.Except when you want to paint the whole thing then it will stick like p**p to a bed sheet.[ddd
Using any kind of oil treatment(Like Kroil) can give you problem with it collecting lots of dust and dirt. Plus if and when you go to paint it then you have to be sure to neutralize it really well or it will contaminate your paint and you will have issues as well. Lots of old,old timers used to rub their Model T's down with just plain oil and they looked great until you...1. Rubbed your hand over it and got all oily. Or 2. Drove down a dirt road.
I would just leave it the way that it is. That's why they call it patina. But hey. That's just my opinion.
Nice wagon.:cool:
Torchie
I have to do something to it.
The weather up here is lousy, three months of summer and most of that time it rains!! The paint looks kinda cool when dry butwhen it gets partially watered it looks just sad.

You can rub boiled linseed oil on it. Protects, shows some shiny, actually hardens to a coating and don't hurt nothing like original paint or metal being coated on. ....and something like skynyrd said about ..."that smell"[ddd:D

I usually sand down the rusty areas then rattle can red oxide primer on it. You can keep the orig painted areas.

BoB

Attachments

• ranchero.jpg
    ranchero.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 16
I also dislike clear.

Have you considered a good scrubbing with CLR? (Do you have CLR over there?) You might have more paint than you think...

I also dislike clear.

Have you considered a good scrubbing with CLR? (Do you have CLR over there?) You might have more paint than you think...

No we don´t but I think I could buy it from Amazon.

Anyway, I can assure you, there is not more paint left to scrub :D

I usually sand down the rusty areas then rattle can red oxide primer on it. You can keep the orig painted areas.

BoB

Necessary rust repairs are done and those areas are primered & painted but the orig. paint is mostly sunburnt and only brown primer is left.

You can rub boiled linseed oil on it. Protects, shows some shiny, actually hardens to a coating and don't hurt nothing like original paint or metal being coated on. ....and something like skynyrd said about ..."that smell"[ddd:D

I´ve heard / read a lot of good things about that.
Some say it should be a mixture of 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% acetone.
What do you think about that?
Better or worse?
Maybe dries faster?

Anyway, it starts to remind a car.

Attachments

• WP_20170312_19_28_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170312_19_28_41_Pro.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back