1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Back from my winter hideout in AZ, getting ready to get it together to start the next build, a 37 Packard 115 3 window coupe. For those not familiar with Packards, 115 refers to the wheelbase (inches) also known as one of the junior Packards - originally with a 6 banger instead of a straight 8 like the 120 or senior models.
I originally had a different coupe lined up to do which had been gifted to me by my former employer, but we have decided to build this one for him first. This breaks my golden rule of not building a car specifically for someone, but I've known him for 45 years and after all, I still get the freebie 37 coupe afterward, so this one will be sort of a practice build for a more radical one later.
This will be a mild resto rod, I'll build a frame with MII front end, 9" rear, SB Ford/AOD for power. The top will get a mild chop to mellow out the helmet shape, other subtle body mods to clean it up, get it down in the weeds.
The body will get here in mid May and I've been gathering parts already to tear into it soon after.
These are the only pics I have of the body so far, it has been cleaned and epoxy primed already, and though there is some rust to fix, it will be easy to spot. The photosnipped pic is one I did a while ago, generally the look I'm going for, likely in the same Packard cream color. :)

Attachments

• DSC01835.jpgx.jpg
    DSC01835.jpgx.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC01836.jpgx.jpg
    DSC01836.jpgx.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 151
  • Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 18439_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    18439_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 140
I wondered if you made it back alive. (People have gone missing for much less than a zz golf cart.)

Looking forward to this one and the next... oh, and welcome home!

I wondered if you made it back alive. (People have gone missing for much less than a zz golf cart.)

Looking forward to this one and the next... oh, and welcome home!

Thanks Doc, and everyone else, good to be home. Please be patient since it won't get to my house 'till next month, though I may get some more pics of it before it gets here.
Here's a couple pics of the other body that will come after this one. Don't quote me on this, but I have a vision of a ratty Gasser with crusty patina intact.... or maybe a slammin' chopped, sectioned pavement scraper.... oh, decisions, decisions [S

Attachments

• DSC01837 a.jpg
    DSC01837 a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01838 a.jpg
    DSC01838 a.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 84
YEAH!!!!

I've been waiting for this since you teased it in the last build. ( I saw the Caddy for sale on a site out of TX for 150k ) I tell you that hoping it makes you proud, not angry... Ready for class to begin.

Shawn

I've been waiting for this since you teased it in the last build. ( I saw the Caddy for sale on a site out of TX for 150k ) I tell you that hoping it makes you proud, not angry... Ready for class to begin.

Shawn

Heh, heh, I looked up the Caddy - when you mentioned Texas and 150K, I thought maybe gA$$ Monkey was selling it :D Oh well, at least it gets around, apparently increasing in value as it ages...

Made the 5 hr. trip to get some more pics of the 37 coupe body - in the past couple years since I last saw it, its developed some surface rust from living in a damp climate in an old greenhouse. In the background, you can see body #2 - guess I'm going to be knee deep in Packards for some time....
Got some measurements so I can get my dolly ready to mount the body on when it gets here next month.

Attachments

• DSC01311.jpg
    DSC01311.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01312.jpg
    DSC01312.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC01313.jpg
    DSC01313.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 109
  • zzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzz.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 68
Yeah, I've noticed too that seems to be that 1937 had some designers that knew fine lines well....in any given year, you don't see as many really nicely shaped cars as 1937 and from many different makers! Maybe just my opinion, but it is what it is...

Yeah, I've noticed too that seems to be that 1937 had some designers that knew fine lines well....in any given year, you don't see as many really nicely shaped cars as 1937 and from many different makers! Maybe just my opinion, but it is what it is...

Oh, I totally agree, the combination of art deco style and streamlining plus aircraft design had a real influence on auto design . Some my fav cars are mid to late 30s.

If your taking a poll

I see the conversation turning to the great styling of these cars, so I thought I would chime in here. I saw earlier that you were talking of going the gasser route. While I do think these are cool. I vote that you "do your thing" on it and make it a chopped sectioned pavement scraper. Not only does this let you exercise your creative vision (which rocks!!), it also inspires us less talented. If really need to build a gasser, I'll still watch the magic. I just hate to see it done to a car with that much class. P.S. ( I have a 36 chevy coupe for a gasser if you really need to scratch that itch)

Latest posts

Back