Hydraulics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool link! Funny how those old refuge truck pictures bring back childhood memories :)
My 39 dodge has Gar Wood hydraulics on it too. Seems the company was a pretty big player back in the day

You gonna have a tilting bed? Or thinking more like a roll back, push back and tilt?

I'm still studying what can be done. I'm hoping to have a usable dump for moving material out here because we're building a barn and house after that. It'll come in handy. But also considering making it where I can load a vehicle on it too. We'll see!
I've got 2 hoists here already. One is an old electric over hydraulic that I took apart, cleaned it up, and it runs. The other is on the 46 Chevy already but it is driven by PTO. Not sure if I can make that work or not yet by swapping out the PTO for electric over hydraulic, but have a new system for trying on the way.

dumps

I have an electric kit on my 3/4 pickup and on my flat bed dually. They are slower than the Pto ones I have used . our 46 1 1/2 ton chevy has a pto pump still on it. we took off the sissor since the cyl was missing. My son is a fireman and wants to build a parade fire truck and use the pto to spray water, but would have to drain the pump after use.

I have an electric kit on my 3/4 pickup and on my flat bed dually. They are slower than the Pto ones I have used . our 46 1 1/2 ton chevy has a pto pump still on it. we took off the sissor since the cyl was missing. My son is a fireman and wants to build a parade fire truck and use the pto to spray water, but would have to drain the pump after use.

Sounds like a cool idea. Those PTO pumps are rated at 1000psi..should be able to figure something![cl

I've seen some old tractors use a power steering pump to power a hydraulic system before. Works faster than an electric pump with better pressure.
McMaster Carr has hydraulic pumps you could put a belt drive pulley on to use the same way to run it of the engine.

I've seen some old tractors use a power steering pump to power a hydraulic system before. Works faster than an electric pump with better pressure.
McMaster Carr has hydraulic pumps you could put a belt drive pulley on to use the same way to run it of the engine.

I have considered those belt driven pumps and have priced some. Muncie even produces one.(kinda pricey) I toyed around with using power steering pump too. I thought I might just use the PTO driven set-up on the 46 for a completely different trailer for dumping and fab up a drive shaft to work off the tractor PTO. Drawback there is that trailer would only work with the tractor or another vehicle with PTO. There are pumps designed to work right off the PTO on the tractor too. 4-500 buck range there. I've got 2 systems here now with another complete battery operated system on the way. I'm going down to take some pix soon. I throw some up later...

This one is a Dayton. 3 1/2" bore and 24" stroke. Was told it came off a dump truck. I don't suspect it was a big one . Cleaned it up and runs like a top.

I know the electric over hydraulic one does. I haven't tried to crank the old truck motor to see if the 46 one works, but I would bet it does. All pieces are still there and connected and it looks like little work to make the motor run, just haven't tried.

Just being a worry wort here. When working with hydraulics, always put blocks or some sort of a safety system under it. Bad things happen way too fast. Be safe.

I've got a unit that is on a 52 Chevy 2 ton and the pump is integrated in the end of the cylinder. Is yours that way?

I've got a unit that is on a 52 Chevy 2 ton and the pump is integrated in the end of the cylinder. Is yours that way?

This one appears to have the pump on it's own bracket. I crawled underneath and snapped a shot. Guess I could have knocked some of the crud off it. No, really, it's a pump...

I will have to look under my 52 chevy COE and see what it has for a set up. If I remember correctly it is just a cylinder with a separate pump...[S

APPEARS through the grime thats a pto driven hydraulic pump not a bad system but they have pumps now that bolt right to the pto no drive shaft issues

APPEARS through the grime thats a pto driven hydraulic pump not a bad system but they have pumps now that bolt right to the pto no drive shaft issues

From what I've read and the small amount of personal knowledge I have about how the different kinds work. I've used the old PTO style more than any of the others but also have some work with the electric over hydraulic set-ups. The PTOs work quicker and you don't have to screw with batteries. The electrics, eat batteries at about 7 dumps per battery(heavy loads). They are slower but not so much that it's a problem to me.
Most people that have used them for work that I talk to vote for the PTO style hoist. I'm not sure yet how I will go, but I suspect it will be a lighter set-up. The electric over hydraulic is attractive in that direction because everything is compact. Doing this build with the 46 is more of a chassis swap and not much on the donor drive train is going to change(yeah right). I'm not likely to be doing any real heavy work with my build as a dump truck but that capability might just come in handy once in a while...how else are ya sposed to rid the bed of all them yard apes on the way into town...[ddd:D

Small.. a wee bit ive learnt selling truck parts in recent years... maximum/optimum tip angle is 51 degrees. this allows any sludgy stuff to "get off" .. electric switch/pto is a good option ,.. hydraulic tank separately mounted works if youre short on space.. are you mounting 'front of body' or underbody as in your scissor pics?..
for tip angle .. sketch out ..
measure from the centre of the rear pivot to the front of the deck (also add in the over to the absolute rear of the deck ) use that entire length and protractor.. should give you max angle and enable you to work out your total ram length ..

crate

Latest posts

Back