1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I'm so tired of slinging and sanding filler, fortunately the fenders and hood require very little work to get them up to snuff - that will come later once all this stuff gets painted. Still tons of sanding to do though....:( Lots of juggling of parts and painting processes involved when everything from fabrication to finishing has to happen in the same space - why is there never enough room??

If you bid the Packard project, I'll bet you bid it low.:D
Fabrication is fun. Filling and sanding is drudgery.[;)[P
However, the results will be outstanding, to be sure.[cl

If you bid the Packard project, I'll bet you bid it low.:D
Fabrication is fun. Filling and sanding is drudgery.[;)[P
However, the results will be outstanding, to be sure.[cl

Fortunately there is no set $$ figure on this build, it costs what it costs. The owner was my first employer, known him for 49 years, he's the one responsible for my Packard obsession, so we both have a lot of patience and have a similar form of the automotive disease...:D

It's probably obvious that I'm not qualified to comment on the quality of your body work so all I will say is.... WOW that looks nice.

Now I'll pick up my hammer and go back to beatin on my project. [cl[cl[P[P:cool::cool:

For me, body work is more an exercise in patience than skill. This body was a west coast car that spent a long time out in the weather and was heavily pitted. It was media blasted before I got it, then left to rust again in a drippy shed, now I've chopped it up, spliced it back together and had it media blasted again...
Before this coat of primer surfacer came epoxy primer then filler which I finished to 80 grit. Rather than pour on more surfacer, I'm filling the flaws in the filler, sanding scratches, and rust pits with spot filler which gets block sanded off and finished to 220 grit. Then another coat of primer surfacer, more filling if needed and finishing to 600 or finer followed by a final sealer coat before color. Oh, and after color is on, more sanding then buffing..... Makes for sore fingers....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 55
:eek::eek: Wow! I guess that's the first time I've actually seen in writing what it takes to achieve a good quality paint job.

That confirms it for me.... I don't have what it takes to do that level of finish work. I'm lacking in Patience, mind set, patience, equipment, patience, know how, patience, desire and cash!

I do like watching you tho.

My bride might be right!! I might have a slight problem.
[cl[cl:cool::cool:[P[P

Don't mistake what I'm doing here for professional work - it's just the way I do it. Right or wrong, it's what works for me in a somewhat less than sanitary or optimal environment and I'm always open to learning more and improving.
The bottom line for me is that I would pay big time for some one else to put in the time needed to get it even to my level of finish. Also, if things don't come out so great, at least I didn't pay someone to be disappointed :cool:.

it will have no other choice than to come out awesome. If you look close you can already see it shine.... well, nope but it does look great so far :cool:

Don't mistake what I'm doing here for professional work - it's just the way I do it. Right or wrong, it's what works for me in a somewhat less than sanitary or optimal environment and I'm always open to learning more and improving.
The bottom line for me is that I would pay big time for some one else to put in the time needed to get it even to my level of finish. Also, if things don't come out so great, at least I didn't pay someone to be disappointed :cool:.

I hear and feel ya ZZ. Being an "EX" body and paint guy spent 80hrs
plus just on the cut and buff way too many times but if you want the mile
deep look and a quality shine that's what it takes .... looking forward to
the finish...

I have been away from the page for a while and was wondering how your project was coming along. Looking great. You might have this baby on the road by the time you hit 100 pages. Keep up the great work

I have been away from the page for a while and was wondering how your project was coming along. Looking great. You might have this baby on the road by the time you hit 100 pages. Keep up the great work

Thanks! Dunno if it will get done that fast, just block sanding the second coat of hi build primer and spot filling now. Maybe some color on the main body by the end of March.

You had 2 dirty words there, block sanding! Look at my 33 plymouth build and you can tell how much of that I done. I used to be real picky until my back, shoulders and hands went to crap, now I just don't care. You are doing a great job, it's going to make a nice hot rod.

Latest posts

Back