My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it’s got grit in the cooling passages, I’d think they didn’t flush it good. What about the oil passages? Do you think it may be in there too?
I’d be scared of it too. Although it’s gonna cost you, I think you’re doing the right thing. If you don’t tear it back apart, you’ll always have that nagging doubt if it’s eating itself from inside or not…

If it’s got grit in the cooling passages, I’d think they didn’t flush it good. What about the oil passages? Do you think it may be in there too?
I’d be scared of it too. Although it’s gonna cost you, I think you’re doing the right thing. If you don’t tear it back apart, you’ll always have that nagging doubt if it’s eating itself from inside or not…
When I primed the rockers I did not see any grit down the hole at the intermediate shaft or bushing area. Other than that I wouldn't know where to look. Once the Valley Pan cover is off and the rotating assy out my guy will check that all out. Thanks for the support....that's the way I see it, few grand now or possibly lose the whole engine if I don't

Even if there was never an issue with the motor on the long term, without having it checked out every time you started it would be unnerving. It would be the only thing you would be thinking about when ever you drove it around the block.

The inspection and break in would be worth the money, then you know its ready to go.

Even if there was never an issue with the motor on the long term, without having it checked out every time you started it would be unnerving. It would be the only thing you would be thinking about when ever you drove it around the block.

The inspection and break in would be worth the money, then you know its ready to go.
Yeah Pal.....I agree. I have enough things on my mind to make me anxious LOL

This is what I was going off of was your comment.
"Oh yeah.....when I pulled that bugger out it was pretty gritty in there, maybe blast material? I hope that stuff is contained on the coolant side."

If you're gonna have someone tear it down, have them make an extra effort to check it out and see.
I lost an ls engine over a machine shop leaving glass bead media in the valve cover vents. I don't miss anything any more when I build an engine.

This is what I was going off of was your comment.
"Oh yeah.....when I pulled that bugger out it was pretty gritty in there, maybe blast material? I hope that stuff is contained on the coolant side."

If you're gonna have someone tear it down, have them make an extra effort to check it out and see.
I lost an ls engine over a machine shop leaving glass bead media in the valve cover vents. I don't miss anything any more when I build an engine.
Oboy losing a motor over glass bead, that's a bummer. Yes for sure we'll discuss flushing her out. The guy who was going to do the job backed out......better now then later. Really not sure why.....he said he was too busy. I've talked with Mark Spencer, the owner of Spencers Speed Shop, sent him my issues with pictures and a build list sheet. He is going to be more money for sure but has a great name in this area. Keep you posted. Thanks for your thoughts pal....much appreciated.

Boy what a crap feeling taking apart all the gauges, temp wiring, fuel lines to first run and break in my motor tonight, All that wasted time but I'm glad I didn't blindly run that motor and blow it up. My next step after running the motor was to finish up the frame....weld some tabs, tap some holes, get the rear assembled and paint her up. When you guys paint a frame do you tape off the 4-link components or do a full disassembly, paint the parts seperately and re-assemble?

I found a local shop and a good friend of mine knows the owner....the guy sounds very good and the final run will be on a dyno. Pricing is about the same...Labor for disassembly, inspect, assembly, run and tune on the dyno for 2000.00. He says my cam is on the small side and would like to change it. I'm gona let run with it. Any parts needed will be of course an adder.

I lost a fresh built 360 to blasting media. It ran great for about 2 minutes. Taking it all apart feels great compared to that... ;)

So my engine is torn down and inspected. I went to see him today findings are as follows.
Everything gooped up with arp type torque lube.... motors loaded with it.
Rough mill on the head gasket surfaces
Terrible Head Gaskets all loaded up with cooper coat
Wrong head studs (different lengths) in wrong places
Cam Bearings Beat in
No valve stem seals
Improper angles on Valves....not lapped in
Crank balanced by welding a piece of round stock to crank
Compression 8.5:1 not 10:1
When disassembled 1/2 cup of oil in 2 cylinders
Water staining on pistons
Rough hone in cylinders
Block not decked

He is recommending changing the pistons and rods, going to 11:1, bigger cam, valve job, cutting the heads, decking the block, new cam bearings, balancing the crank properly. Block flushed to get grit out.... Cost I don't have yet but he was referencing another motor that was 8k. Oh yah...... he mentioned Ford Pistons and Rods. As I mentioned it will be run, broken in and dyno'd

I like the guy alot....he seems meticulous. I'll keep you guys posted

Not what you wanted to hear, but you can rest easy now you know you didn’t destroy it right off the bat.
The original builder sounds like he sorta knew how to put it together and either got in a hurry or didn’t care. Rod welded to crank to balance it? I’ve heard redneck, but that takes the cake!

I like his way of thinking.
I'd be cautious going to 11.1 and decking. You might end up having to run octane booster or race fuel.
I had to run 91 octane at 10:1 and 36 degrees of timing to keep the detonation away.

Not what you wanted to hear, but you can rest easy now you know you didn’t destroy it right off the bat.
The original builder sounds like he sorta knew how to put it together and either got in a hurry or didn’t care. Rod welded to crank to balance it? I’ve heard redneck, but that takes the cake!
Yah....that would have been a real bummer. LOL on the redneck!

WOW!
Spending the money that was spent the 1st time all over again sucks, but its really good all that crap was caught before it killed the good parts.
I too would be concerned about those 11:1 pistons. Maybe his definition of "pump gas" isn't the same as mine. Racing fuel does come out of a pump, its just not the pump I'd want to have to buy my gas out of.

Latest posts

Back