Mustang II with or without sway bar

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senginc

I know plenty of you have experience with a Mustang II front suspension and would like your opinion.

I have installed maybe 5 or 6 in the 1990's, but I don't remember ever having a front sway bar.
Seems like on those cars, maybe because they were stiffly sprung, they didn't seem to need a front sway bar ??

So on this project I am considering Mustang II with or without sway bar now that sway bar kits are plentiful.

Any thoughts, my weight distribution will probably be about 55/45 and 2500 lbs.

I'd highly recommend it as well. Initially I build my uncles 29 Tudor without, and it didn't take long to install one after it got on the road - and what a HUGE difference it made.

I took it OFF our Mustang project because it rubbed on the oil pan. (Wrong pan) I can't say it made a big difference. :confused:

We don't have one for the coupe project either. I don't think we'll put one on, unless it drives poorly. [S

Attachments

• Mustang 24-10-08_1618.JPG
    Mustang 24-10-08_1618.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
Here's what I've found out.
If the vehicle has dropped spindles the need for a sway bar is less if it doesn't, the need gets greater.
The reason is, it lowers the roll center when using dropped spindles and also lowering the vehicle.

If the vehicle has dropped spindles the need for a sway bar is less if it doesn't, the need gets greater.
The reason is, it lowers the roll center when using dropped spindles and also lowering the vehicle.

That makes good sense. [cl

I have 2" drop spindles, the tire size I plan to use sets the low point of my frame a little less than 5", so my center of gravity is lower than an everyday car.

Since I have coilovers I make crank it a little lower.

I had the Pinto version on the Willys project with out, don't think it was part of the Pinto package? Handled fine to 120 mph when it started to float :eek:

Latest posts

Back