'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thinking Dozer.
I've been wasting a lot of time trying to thread my .023 welding wire through this new liner on the welder. For some reason, after my swear jar was full, I grabbed a roll of .030 wire and tried it, hoping to clean out the liner of whatever was in it. The bigger wire pushed through nicely. So ----- now I think I kinked and straightened the little wire too many times trying to push it through, so it became miserable to handle. Anyhow, time has slipped away.
I will get some more pictures of the valve covers.

After emptying the swear jar a few times, I got the welder working. Here's the welded up valve cover; upside-down, [to show the internal workings], and right-side-up.

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 25
I was gonna ask what you do to fill in the area under the valve cover when mounted to the engine but, I'll wait and see.
[P[P[P

After you get thru raiding the swear jar while building this Dodge, you could probably buy a running Chevrolet[ddd:D[cl

Thank you guys.
And OI, I'm going to make a tin shroud under the empty third of the cover and paint it with some gritty paint, [that I forget the name of right now].
Soltz, you're jumping ahead in the story. That's what I was working on today. There will be quite a bit of deception, but it'll be artfully hidden.
Smallfoot, I'll have you know,----- that my swear jar is made of glass and if I was trying to cram a Chevorlet into a Dodge, my swear jar wouldn't stand up, and then where would we be.

I was working on the sparkplug wire [steel] loom, if that's the right terminology. Anyhow, after a lot of Imagineering and trial and error, I have some of the wire holders made, but no pictures yet.

That's was I'm shooting for. [sneaky bugger status] ------ no, --wait. I want people to scratch their heads, wondering, Coupe. The difference between me and an out and out liar is, my deception will be temporary until they figure it out or I tell them.
The really silly part of all of this is there is a real 354 Hemi sitting out in a shed, that I had to walk right by to get this Poly.

As promised, here are some pictures of the sparkplug wire routing. In the first picture the valve cover is up-side-down and the blue wires simulate the real wires of the engine. They will be starting under the new partial cover and flowing out the back of the partial cover to go up to the distributor.
The second shot is the top of the cover with the fake [black] wires coming from the big round rubber washers on the middle of the valve cover to this steel pipe that's just on top of the real wire tube. The black wires will end about an inch in that tube. [third shot].
The different coloured wires are just to show you that there will be two distinct sets of wires. When the smoke, dust and mirrors fade away, the wires will be the same colour and it will look like one set only.
Deception is my middle name. :eek::cool::cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 18
Thank you guys. I AM having fun with this, but it's time consuming and there's no practical value to it. Maybe, in my working life I couldn't afford the time to just be creative, so now I'm making up for that.

Nothing picture worthy today. I smoothed out that valve cover a little more and then started putting on the exhaust manifolds. I knew that the passenger side one had a crack and a worn out heat-riser valve, but when I checked it over closely, it had quite a few breaks and looked rotten. I debated whether I should weld it up or go out to the shed and raid another old Poly. In the heat of the day it almost got up to O*F, so I was reluctant to go out there. When I started taking that cold manifold off, out in the shed, I was fighting with the cold, the semi dark, the proximity to an old tractor wheel, and a special substance made up of old oil and dirt that was heated a hundred thousand times. That baked mud was half way to cast iron and was around most of the bottom bolts so I couldn't get the socket on them. Even with a thin sharp chisel, I had quite a time with each bolt. ---- So no pictures.

Latest posts

Back