'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Old Stuff, 'picking away' at things has to be done, but it is not 'bragging fodder'. Luckily, it all adds up, though. I agree with you on all accounts.
Tripper, it's a 318 bored out 40 thousands, I think, so it's about 324 or 325 cu.. I think there's a Desoto Hemi that's 325 cu. so I should go with that number.
OI, I was hoping that the blowhards that I meet at car shows, also haven't seen many old Hemi's lately and wouldn't see the few little flaws in my near perfect deception. The Hemi's have little bolts holding the perimeter of the valve covers down and Poly's have two bolts going down through the face. Anyhow, I'm pretty happy about the way this 'faux Hemi' turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 11
Your deception will fool 99% of people, I'm sure [cl[cl
Check out this fakery I saw years ago, that's a small block Chevy hiding under there [S

attachment.php

Attachments

• sep 16 06 018.jpg
    sep 16 06 018.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 61
After a very frustrating day yesterday, I got some work done on the Dodge Brothers emergency brake.
I'm part of an old tractor club and I get to do a bunch of the work on the semi-annual newsletter. It turns out that old guys who build old tractors, don't want to write anything or work the computer. Everything is now written for this letter, but the compiling it all is beating us up. The guy that is helping me phoned yesterday with a computer problem, to ask me to try and convert some things. Well, I'm even dumber that he is, so we both spent most of the day trying to make our computers work for us, to no avail. So heavy frustration.

Anyhow today, I installed the whole Emergency brake gismo and tried it out. It needs to be adjusted where I have not built in an adjustment. I will have to take this apart again and change some stuff. Oh well, when you're making a hotrod your going to have to take it apart and put it together fourteen times before you're done.
We were in town today, so I picked up some parts that came in. Here's my distributor repairs.

Attachments

• IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16
It is our destiny to redo or tweak some of our inventions a lot. It's one thing to make a whole E-brake system and brag about it; but it's another thing to make it a working system that's adjustable for future wear. Anyhow, it is done now and I have rebuilt my distributor.

No matter how convincing I made those first 'mock' sparkplug wires, I still can't forget to put the sparkplugs in and make the real wires that will do the work. Here is one side done. I had bought the wrong boots and ends so it went slower than usual. I had to use all of the old boots on both end of the wires.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 16
I've been a way down in Red Deer, Alberta, at a swap-meet. My list was quite small this time [two things], but I got one and half of them. Anyhow, I did come away with quite a bit of stuff for the future. ---- And one very nice surprise. I stumbled across a complete 1934 Dodge Brothers truck headlight bucket, in nice shape. It is so nice that it makes the one I had look like poop. The truck had one DB bucket and one older Ford bucket. My DB one had been converted to a six inch seal-beam with a piece of galvanized tin and big wood screws. I found a pair of other older buckets that I was saving for another project, and robbed the stainless ring and reflector for this poor old light. I have to look out for a 9 inch convex glass now.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 7
I've got a few and a complete headlight assembly.
What is the actual measurement of the lens and does it have lettering on it?

OI, this is great news. I think they are nine inch lenses with a slight convex curve, but I'll go and measure them and read the writing on them. It doesn't matter on a ratrod if the writing is the same but the size has to be right. I'm looking for the stainless steel retainer ring, the internal reflector, and the glass.

I've been a way down in Red Deer, Alberta, at a swap-meet. My list was quite small this time [two things], but I got one and half of them. Anyhow, I did come away with quite a bit of stuff for the future. ---- And one very nice surprise. I stumbled across a complete 1934 Dodge Brothers truck headlight bucket, in nice shape. It is so nice that it makes the one I had look like poop. The truck had one DB bucket and one older Ford bucket. My DB one had been converted to a six inch seal-beam with a piece of galvanized tin and big wood screws. I found a pair of other older buckets that I was saving for another project, and robbed the stainless ring and reflector for this poor old light. I have to look out for a 9 inch convex glass now.

Good score at the swap meet! I didn't make it down, I was in Jasper. Was there much stuff there?

Oi, I got the measurements. The lens is a TWILITE, and the swapmeet seller had put a little sticker on the pot that said "lens #8892". It is 9 1/4" diameter, and had a 15/16" concave to it. The SS retainer ring is 1 1/16" wide.
The '34 truck light pots my be bigger than the car ones.
I had my hopes up, OI.

Snopro, there were a few less tables than other years, but not many less. Big tables were missing, though. So-Cal, George Moir, and Keith Lee, the flathead guy from Saskatoon. The prices were sometimes quite high and sometimes the guy was cleaning out his garage.

Snopro, there were a few less tables than other years, but not many less. Big tables were missing, though. So-Cal, George Moir, and Keith Lee, the flathead guy from Saskatoon. The prices were sometimes quite high and sometimes the guy was cleaning out his garage.

Yeah, George Moir is closed, sadly. So-Cal (Murray King) had a booth at the swap meet in Stony Plain the weekend before selling only shirts. He had said that he was doing a lot less shows and swap meets these days.

Surprisingly, there were a lot of tables at the Stony Plain swap meet, but prices were mostly high.

Today, I did weird little things, like measuring my biggest glass lenses again, to see if I could make an invisible surround that would keep one in there. Nope.
Then I went out to the big shed and wrestled two headlight stanchions off of the old '33 Plymouth, which I had traded for a rough '34 door. Here they are already boxed.
The sparkplug wires are finished, but I now have made two little keepers for the back of each head to hold the wires up in my tin loom.
A broken gearshift is my experimental victim. I welded a new end on to accept my glass door knob and now I'm going to straighten the gearshift out and grind it down thinner and tapered.

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back