New here from Alexandria, VA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngrat

In the beginning stages of looking at project and learning. Looking to secure a Model A or Chevy 30's model and do a father son project. This is my first build and have little knowledge of building a car....but am always willing to learn.

Welcome to RRR! When looking, pay attention to how much of the structure is/was wood. If you're not much of a welder, you might wanna look for someone elses roller project to finish.

Welcome aboard Youngrat! A father son project sounds cool............will you be the Father or the Son [S :D

I will be the son in this project, both of us are new to a car project and im taking lead on everything and we are splitting the costs. We both are very good with tools, but neither of us have actually worked on a car.

Welcome to RRR! When looking, pay attention to how much of the structure is/was wood. If you're not much of a welder, you might wanna look for someone elses roller project to finish.

Have never welded before, just being honest, but am very good with my hands and know my way around tools. Having someone teach me to weld within the next couple weeks and the rest I plan on learning on the fly. Thanks for the help, have spent a while looking at threads and have a real good idea of what to do. ( But have MUCH to learn)

Welcome to the site
Glad ya finally made it here [cl
If you can find someone who welds and can buddy up to them, they will be a mountain of help :cool:
What Sam said, most GM's were wood framed inside the passenger compartments all the way till late 1936 [P

Hello,welcome to RRR..............I would say,you will get it built. All the info and help you can find here :eek:!! I would advise you to stay away from anything with lumber in it,you don't need that hassle on your first build[S. When your learning to weld[;),know that you have to "BURN" that wire or rod either one,into that metal or it's not safe!!!

Ask,listen "read" and remember to ask,WHY[S?? If I had to guess I'd say your about seventeen. Good luck[cl

WOW thats the most I ever said on someones HELLO page:Dold age I guess :{

Well, since you don't weld (yet), if you do any frame or suspension fabrication, have someone else do the finish welding with a 220volt machine. You want to make sure the critical stuff is done right. Safety first! And for the same reason, don't be cheap when it comes to steering and brake components.

Hey youngrat
This is great to hear dads and sons playing in the garage together working on something...something rusty is even better in my eyes. I guess I wont have to worry about the hobby fading away with you guys hopping on board. Welcome aboard from the land of salt and rust (upstate NY).
MikeC

Welcome from Fredericksburg. If you haven't heard, the Karb Kings are having there annual show in Fredericksburg on Oct. 13th. It's well worth the drive down from Alexandria.

Hello,welcome to RRR..............I would say,you will get it built. All the info and help you can find here :eek:!! I would advise you to stay away from anything with lumber in it,you don't need that hassle on your first build[S. When your learning to weld[;),know that you have to "BURN" that wire or rod either one,into that metal or it's not safe!!!

Ask,listen "read" and remember to ask,WHY[S?? If I had to guess I'd say your about seventeen. Good luck[cl

WOW thats the most I ever said on someones HELLO page:Dold age I guess :{

Thanks for the advice, and am looking forward to getting started. Been remodeling houses for about 8 years with my parents and finally took that hands on approach to a car. Def not scared to get dirty and learn on the fly. I'm a 22 year old who just graduated from college and looking to try and get a good hobby for my dad and I. Even though I'm not 100% knowledgeable, I would rather try and fail, then fail at trying. Thanks for all the support and cannot wait to get started.

Last edited:
Welcome from Fredericksburg. If you haven't heard, the Karb Kings are having there annual show in Fredericksburg on Oct. 13th. It's well worth the drive down from Alexandria.

I'll be there, heard about it a couple weeks ago and plan on bringing some $$$ with me to make an offer if I see something worth buying. Its only about an hour away and def worth the drive.

Well, since you don't weld (yet), if you do any frame or suspension fabrication, have someone else do the finish welding with a 220volt machine. You want to make sure the critical stuff is done right. Safety first! And for the same reason, don't be cheap when it comes to steering and brake components.

Will do, with VA the frame needs to be certified if im constructing it myself, and plan on having help when it comes to that. Buddy of mine builds custom motorcycles for a living and plan on asking for help on that aspect.

Latest posts

Back