Hi all

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wobble

the wobble seems to be ok when I fixed the king pins and the toe in . now I noticed while running on the street for about 10 min. it acts like it is running out of gas . kind of like a vapor lock . pump the gas and it seems to clear up for a bit ?

another spot where u could have wobble would be the tie rod ends on your steering components tire rod and drag link..

Keep at it.. you will get all the bugs sorted

Caster should be at least 8-10 degrees. I like mine at 10-12. Toe-in at 1/16-1/8". Proper mount and balance on tires - Also check for excessive wheel runout or out of round tires. Wheels with too much runout are scrap. Out of round tires can be trued by shaving. Air pressure near max. Triple-check all components for proper adjustment and no slop. Steering box should be good and tight. Have all of these things and death wobble goes away. There is NO need for a steering stabilizer on these cars. It is simply a band-aid for another problem. Some folks may disagree with that, but I stand by it. Put together a lot of early Ford style front ends and they all run straight and true with zero wobble. One I helped with just ran in the Motor City Gumball Rally for three days straight at triple digit speeds on rough public highway, maxing out at 121mph. ZERO wobble and NO ugly stabilizer....

wobble

don't really have tie rod ends to come loss and steering box out of a sprint car

Attachments

• truck 5.jpg
    truck 5.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 48
  • steering box.jpg
    steering box.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 42
rebuild

well I was going to sale the truck and build some thing new but what no clue ?
so I thought I would just redo what I have and make it ride a little better . I have not had much time to drive it around lately but will next yr I hope .
right not I have the stock 34 ford front . looking for a way to make it better
any ideas would help

choping the top

well I am going to hang on the truck for another yr or so . to old to start another one . my thought now is to chop the top a little my under standing is to cut more from the front than the rear , to have that sloped look is that about right . I have also thought about making it a roadster? not sure about that one . for those of you who have done this how bad is it .

I haven't done a A truck, i'm sure someone here can give you some advise. The main thing is brace the heck out of the cab before you cut the top off.
Good luck with it. [;)

well I am going to hang on the truck for another yr or so . to old to start another one . my thought now is to chop the top a little my under standing is to cut more from the front than the rear , to have that sloped look is that about right . I have also thought about making it a roadster? not sure about that one . for those of you who have done this how bad is it .

As mentioned above ..brace the body first so things won't move after ya remove the top . Don't chop to much out (it's nice to be able to see out the w/s ) measure ... measure ....measure then cut[;) . I'd think yours wouldn't be to tough looks like top would drop pretty much straight down (but I've never done one like yours)[S. Dropping the front more than the rear will be more of a challenge .I think it would do with a lower top JMHO :D

This would pretty much be a straight drop down chop. One of the easier kind to do. If you angle chop it then you are going to have problems with the windshield post and the door jambs lining up straight up as down as they do now.
It can be done but it involves a lot more work.
Torchie

The reason you typically cut more from the front is because most cars have a leaning windshield, so when you drop the back straight down you have to take more from the front to make up for the lean. Yours should be just a straight shot
if you rake it things will get out of square somewhere and cause you trouble.

I have never chopped a top before but I also never built a truck from scratch before. I enjoy doing the work and trying to figure think out . I have thought about building another one . Every time I tell my wife that I here bla bla bla that just give me incentive to start

Latest posts

Back