New Member Intro

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the short wheelbase GMs used the same basic body shell from '37-'40... but don't quote me. I can tell you, stuffing a big block in my '38 is gonna be TIGHT. (I'd suggest starting a build thread so your questions are better exposed.)

You're safe. (I'm fresh out of "live" ammunition. :( :D)

My 39 Chevy Coupe had a 396 in it when I got it, with headers, but its been awhile wish I had better pics of that car, so I guess it can be done.

Thanks man the only thing that ****es me off is they sprayed that brown primer on it would have been cool if they left the nice patina I would have just cleared it now i gotta strip it and do semi gloss black

still new to this. found this super cool site and trying to learn how it works. i have a 54 chevy 3100 can any one tell me how to post pics and I will try thanks

Correct on the 25 series being built on the Chevy body style, the 26 series was built on the Buick body style. 26 series had taller windows, fenders had a slightly different curvature, the back end was a little longer and the gas filler was on the drivers side instead of the passenger side.
There were some other slight differences not worth mentioning though.
Almost nothing will interchange except grilles, louvers and hood ornaments.

Correct on the 25 series being built on the Chevy body style, the 26 series was built on the Buick body style. 26 series had taller windows, fenders had a slightly different curvature, the back end was a little longer and the gas filler was on the drivers side instead of the passenger side.
There were some other slight differences not worth mentioning though.
Almost nothing will interchange except grilles, louvers and hood ornaments.

So in 1940 there was a 25 series and a 26 series, was the 26 a true coupe or a 2 door sedan ? I was surprised to see mine had a small rear seat, where in my 39 chevy Coupe, it was available only in a business coupe with no back seat or the little jump sets from what I understand, not sure on the 39 Ponchos though.

Yes there was a 25 & 26 series coupe and 2 door and 4 door sedans.
There was a family coupe with a back seat and a business coupe.
The family coupe had the gas fill in the passenger rear fender and the business coupe had the gas fill in the side of the body in front of the rear fender and behind the passenger door.

Here's a 26 series coupe. Notice how long the rear deck is and the slope.
opw_ralphhamilton3_mcl.jpg

Here's a 25 series family coupe. Notice the more pronounced hump in the rear deck and how it's rounded off. Someone removed the exposed running boards.

40CoupeRR.jpg

Then just to confuse things, they had a 28 & 29 series.
Here's a 29 series. Notice the absence of exposed running boards on this model ? The bottom of the door actually rolls over the boards.
20130811_003142.jpg

Sorry I tend to ramble on when it comes to a 33, 34 & 40 P:Dntiac

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 8
Old Iron to the rescue! [cl

Was the '39 clipped?

No it had the original tubular, if I remember ,straight axle in it. Then it developed a death wobble, so I put a early Chevy van solid, I beam straight axle in it. It had a factory drop to it, so it lowered the front really nice. It was free and a direct bolt in.

Very nice start and welcome to the site!

If you don't mind my asking what kind of tires are those that you are running in the front?

Latest posts

Back