South Carolina guy here... Hello all

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darby

Hey guys,
I am looking for a new project. I like working on/restoring all kinds of things.
I have done a couple of cars, a truck, a few 70's mopeds, and a few other things. Barber chair for example. I like mechanical things. When I say restore, I don't mean show room, pristine, condition. I like it a lil dirty.
I figured I would try a Rat. I like pulling things from the junkyard, but there isn't that many decent junkyards my way. Which brings me to my first question.
If it were you, would you look for a chassis and find a body for it? Or would you look for the body first and find a chassis for it?
Not quite what kind I am going to do, when I see it, I will know.. Ya know what I mean?
Nice to be here..

If you dont have a lot of room and equipment to lift and cut and weld ,, maybe find a driver and just lower it and go from there .. Building a frame up is a bigger job than I thought as far as time ,, I will farm out the major welding on the safety parts .. the rest I can dirt - dob together or modify JMO.

Welcome from Rhode Island. I would start with a body and a vision of the style you want and the choose a frame, build a frame or modify a frame. Different styles of of bodys work better with specific frame style.

Welcome from Flawda. Cruise the build threads here and see what you think you can do. The guys that put them here are pretty detailed on what it takes.

Thats what I was thinking Kenny. I am pretty good with welding, chopping, bending and to make things work and a pretty good mechanic.
But like Yankee said, I would send out the major welding saftey stuff. But yeah, a body and a vision will be a start.
I am in no rush at all to finish it, just looking for my next big project that keeps me outside and in the garage during some down time.
There is a swapmeet at the local dragway about 30 minutes on 1/16.
Might get lucky. But yeah a body and a vision...[;)

Where ya at in SC? I used to run over that way a lot, got to know a lot of the state.

I'd keep a watch on Craigslist. Lots of barn finds and unfinished projects turn up there all the time. The more you start with is the less you have to look for or fab up...

Hello and welcome.You can find all kinds of stuff on c/list. I have my own junkyard in my backyard thanks to c/list.Where you at in SC ?

Latest posts

Back