rat rod newbie from Australia

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozmon

G,Day I have started in this scene with a 1950 Standard Vanguard Saloon which I bought for $700.The engine is a 2ltr wet sleeve four which I am going to keep as I can get parts from the local Massey Fergusen dealer.Dont laugh, I can get a power upgrade kit to make it a 2.2ltr the same as the triumph tr4 so with twin carbies it will have 170kw and 174nm of torque.The patina is amazing, in the factory they sprayed the cars inside and out with an anti-rust bonderizing paint which as the factory paint wears off looks like rust showing through.I am going to strip the interior back to bare metal and por-15 it,airbag suspension so it eats the weeds get it running on my car club plates and enjoy myself.

Attachments

• SV project1.jpg
    SV project1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
  • SV project2.jpg
    SV project2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1
  • SV project3.jpg
    SV project3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Thanks for posting the great pictures. looks like you have a great plan.

Also, I am digging that truck in the background too!

The truck isnt mine the photos were taken at the house of the guy I bought the car from. I did ask about it but he didnt want to show it to me it or sell it. pity

Welcome!!!

Ozmon,
Welcome to the forum!!! We're always interested in seein' iron we've never seen B4 & this definitely fills the bill. Please keep us posted on u're progress!!!

BoB

I have only really just started but will definitely post photos as I make progress.I am hoping to have it finished in less than 5 months then I can have an inspection from my car club and if it passes I can drive it on club plates which only costs about $100 a year compared to $600 if I tried to register it as a road car.:)

Welcome to RRR ozmon. I like the plans for your project. That car will look really good lowered. I own an Aussie car myself. I've got a little jar of dirt from Oz that I scraped off the bottom of it when I was working on it.

It was made by the Standard Motor Company in Coventry England . It is a phase1 often nicknamed the beetleback of which they made 28,000 of them between 1948 and mid 1952 when they changed to the phase2 which had a boot and lost the funky curved back.

G' day Digger, bonza car you've got there,

like you i prefer the Phase 1 over the P2 much better look, I used to sell parts for them in the '80s when I worked for New Zealand Motor Corp and they were 30 years old then :eek: Talk about solid cars :)

Welcome to the forum I look forward to seeing more of your car I like the MF engine idea, you see a few rats on here with tractor grilles but a tractor motor thats sweet.

Oh and for our American cousins Standard became Triumph (you know...the 60's & 70's sports cars)

Tractor motor? oh yeeah!

The engine is the first thing I have to do, I have stripped off what I can before I take out the engine and gearbox.As I said before the local Massey ferguson dealer has a long list of parts I can use- sleeves, cam, crank, gaskets etc.The interior floor has been given a light wire brush and vacuum to start with before I get really serious.The wiring is positive earth, and I can get a reproduction cloth wrapped wiring loom for $600.Here is a couple of photos of how it was when I bought it.

Attachments

• standard vanguard engine 1.jpg
    standard vanguard engine 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 14
  • standard vanguard interior 1.jpg
    standard vanguard interior 1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back