RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really looks awesome! Definitely better that factory work & I can't wait to see it painted!!! [dr

BoB

And it shows[cl
!!![P!!!

Thanks, guys . I took today off from sanding, I am beat from the heat ! :eek: Yesterday I spent about 5 hours and got the cowl section block sanded one more time. I still have the rear section to do, and think I might go over tonight when it cools off a little and start sanding on that. I must be getting it pretty straight because I didn't cut through in too many places

I plan on shooting one thinned down coat of primer on the whole body to cover any spots I might have cut through, and then it will be final paint time.

I THINK I have decided on the final color. (I think :eek:) I have a gallon of Hot Rod Red from Summit, and today I ordered a quart of Hot Rod Black from them. The plan is to blend some black into the red until I end up with a maroon color, at least that is the plan. Then I can shoot some satin clear over it all and call it good.

But since I change my mind more than I change my underwear, who knows where I might actually end up. :D

Writhe in your sleep if you must. I'm sure it'll look like a million bucks no matter the hue!

Thanks Dr C. :)

You guys that do body and paint work have my respect :)

Me too, Old Iron. Not only do they have a good eye, but it is really hard work. Last night my side was killing me from being bent over so long filling and sanding some more. When I got home I felt like a truck had run over me.

But, I did get more filling and sanding done, and if the rain holds out today I plan on shooting a thinned down coat of primer on the whole thing as a sealer and to cover any places my sandpaper cut through to bare metal.

Still on the fence as to whether I will shoot it black first and then, after I top coat it with the maroon, if I will scuff through to age it. Just not sure, but I will know better when the color is finally all on there.

Spent today going over the body and doing the final sanding and filling of any little areas that needed attention. I think I am finally done with all of that and can move onto the last thinned down primer spray, and then the color coats.

I ordered a quart of Hot Rod Black from Summit and it came in today. I took the gallon of Hot Rod Red I had gotten from them and started mixing in a little black to try to get the final color I wanted. I kept adding a few more ounces of black and finally just dumped the whole quart into the red. It gave me a pretty nice looking dark red, and this will be my final color.

So that I have some options, whether to scuff through the red to expose some black , I will shoot the body black first, then the red. I might just like the red so much that I stop there, but if I decide to sand through in spots to make it look aged, I will have that option. If I do scuff through the paint, I will shoot a couple of coats of satin clear over it all to seal it in.

If tomorrow's weather holds out I plan on shooting the primer, (thinned down to just be a final sealer) and then shoot the black and then the red. You might be seeing pictures tomorrow night of a red body ! :D:D

Today we had torrential rains, almost hurricane-like, so I had to stay inside the shop but I got to tape up the entire firewall ( I am going to paint that separately in off white) and also the entire interior where I did not want to get overspray.

After that, I wiped down the body about 3 times with wax and grease remover, and then I noticed the rain was stopping and the sun was coming out ! :D So, I finished prepping it for the very last coat of primer, and shoved it outside to shoot that last coat of sealer on the entire body.

For this last coat, I thinned the high build primer 15% with reducer, and man, what it difference it made when spraying it. It flowed like regular paint, no dry spots, and it dried very smooth with only a scuff needed before I spray the final colors on.

I have decided to NOT shoot black first, and NOT to scuff through the red to age it. This body turned out so straight that it would be sacrilegious to mess it up by aging the look. So, I am just going to shoot it in the red, then shoot some clear over it and call it good. I will let the primer shrink up for a few days and then lightly scuff it and wipe it down for the last time.

Here are some pictures from tonight before the primer was totally dry. Those darker spots at the bottom of the body are where we shot a little more primer before calling it quits.

Attachments

• DSC08199.jpg
    DSC08199.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC08201.jpg
    DSC08201.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC08202.jpg
    DSC08202.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC08203.jpg
    DSC08203.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 27
Looks great, I can't wait to see it in paint.

Me too [dr
[P

Looking awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing it in paint, you're giving me ideas for my A and some motivation too.

Thanks for the encouragement guys ! :D Today put me within striking distance of getting it into final color. I scuffed the whole body and filled a few remaining little pin holes, and wiped it down .

Then, I finished sanding the two doors, and shot two coats of high build primer all over them. The weather was not looking good but I decided to go for it anyway. The only area I sort of messed up on was the one door where I had the tip of the spray gun turned the wrong direction, and shot too much primer into one spot. But that will sand out when I sand the doors in a day or so.

So, here are a couple of pictures from today, the outside shots show the clouds moving in, but it never rained one drop. In Florida you never can depend on the weatherman. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC08204.jpg
    DSC08204.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC08205.jpg
    DSC08205.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC08206.jpg
    DSC08206.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC08207.jpg
    DSC08207.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 19
I'm glad that weathermen are unpredictable, only in Florida [ddd.
Anyhow, nice work on the primer, I'm looking forward to the deep red.

Thanks, I hope the red turns out how I will like it, but if I shoot it and do not, I have a gallon of Hot Rod Black sitting there, so I can immediately shoot that over the red.

What I do not know is how the flat red will actually look once on the whole body, it might look good, and it might look not so good.

Decisions, decisions ! :D

Latest posts

Back