1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Propped a tire in the fender and bolted on the running board to figure out the rearend width needed and to help determine frame measurements. This is how it will look at full suspension drop - I'd like to go lower but with the 30" tire, this is a low as it can go.
Using a highly sophisticated CAD designing program (Chaulk Assisted Doodling), I sketched out the frame dimensions on the floor. Hmmm, if this is my man cave, is this a cave drawing ? [S:rolleyes:.
I'll cut out the frame pieces and lay them right on the floor drawing to tack them together. Also in the pics are the 4 link arms I made last fall in anticipation of this frame build.

Attachments

• DSC01790.jpg
    DSC01790.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 521
  • DSC01791.jpg
    DSC01791.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01794.jpg
    DSC01794.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC01793.jpg
    DSC01793.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 180
I'm loving the "cave drawing", that's a smart idea!

It's nice to see that you put a 30" tall tire in the back. Too many hot rods have narrow tires or 25-26" tall tires and they just don't look right. Those big fat fenders need some tall fat tires, and it looks awesome!

It's nice to see that you put a 30" tall tire in the back. Too many hot rods have narrow tires or 25-26" tall tires and they just don't look right. Those big fat fenders need some tall fat tires, and it looks awesome!

The whole back end looks like it grew that way. Which to me is the sign of a great eye and the skill to execute the vision!
Cave drawings on the floor. I like it. If you could see my garage floor you would see some of the same. The difference being that most times I have used a permanent marker so it takes some time to wear off.:eek:
That's how I record the arch on a spring before I reverse the eye's.
Can't wait to see more.
Torchie.

Someone should invent a holographic projector

so you can do it up on CAD, then project into your garage and build around it....make everything fit like a glove..... Ok. guys..tell me they have it already....??

My thoughts exactly on tire sizes. These rear tires are 750 16 and though they are radials, they look like bias plys and had the widest white wall I could find in a 16 radial, it has the effect of making them look taller too. Also wanted to stay away from modern alloy wheels this time for a more retro look.

so you can do it up on CAD, then project into your garage and build around it....make everything fit like a glove..... Ok. guys..tell me they have it already....??

Heh, heh, I can't even draw a circle on the computer :eek: - what I really need is something to project the pictures in my head onto paper - :eek: no wait, that might scare little kids...

My thoughts exactly on tire sizes. These rear tires are 750 16 and though they are radials, they look like bias plys and had the widest white wall I could find in a 16 radial, it has the effect of making them look taller too. Also wanted to stay away from modern alloy wheels this time for a more retro look.

Tucked up in there they don't look like 750 16's, they look bigger. I see what you mean that the white wall makes they look taller. Those big fenders make them look wider too!

I had to go back and look what you had on the Caddy. The Rockets looked awesome on it, but I think the more traditional choice on this will be just perfect. Radium next year?

What brand of tire are you using?

They're Coker Classics.

I had to go back and look what you had on the Caddy. The Rockets looked awesome on it, but I think the more traditional choice on this will be just perfect. Radium next year?

Yes, Radium next year though I doubt this can get even close to being done by then. Probably take the 'ol Hennway again.

Propped a tire in the fender and bolted on the running board to figure out the rearend width needed and to help determine frame measurements. This is how it will look at full suspension drop - I'd like to go lower but with the 30" tire, this is a low as it can go.
Using a highly sophisticated CAD designing program (Chaulk Assisted Doodling), I sketched out the frame dimensions on the floor. Hmmm, if this is my man cave, is this a cave drawing ? [S:rolleyes:.
I'll cut out the frame pieces and lay them right on the floor drawing to tack them together. Also in the pics are the 4 link arms I made last fall in anticipation of this frame build.

This thing is looking GREAT! I love the cave drawings!

I agree that removing the hump improved the look, that's what I did at the top of the back of the roof line on my 40 chevy...

Nice metal work! Keep it up...[cl

Got started on building the frame, using my favorite style for the main rails, stacking a 2x2 and 2x4 to make a super stiff 2x6". The corners of the kick up are gusseted with 1/4" plate segments to bridge the joints. Just some temp crossmembers tacked in so far while mocking up the rear suspension, I'll be adding a double tier K or X member once that is sorted out. This is the 9" rear end I'll be using though it needs to be shortened 9".
I got excited today when my axles from Summit arrived - 'till I opened the boxes - they sent one 28 spline and one 31 spline axle - DOH !!.
Well, I can still shorten the housing and get on with mounting it....

Attachments

• DSC01799.jpg
    DSC01799.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC01798.jpg
    DSC01798.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC01797.jpg
    DSC01797.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 168
Love to watch your work zz. I might suggest using colored chalk. Have'n fun with you. The grandkids come over & do sidewalk art all of the time & they consume the whole parking area with their art & then we have no place to park!

They're Coker Classics.

Yes, Radium next year though I doubt this can get even close to being done by then. Probably take the 'ol Hennway again.

It will be great to see the Hennway back at Radium. I was expecting to see it this year.

That frame looks awesome. I really like that you made a stiff 2x6 main rail and made a really beefy frame. As an engineer I cringe at some of the tiny rails I've seen used for custom-built frames. This sure isn't one of them!

I went and bought a chop saw and did the deed on the rear end housing, cutting 9 3/4" off to bring track width from 65 1/4 down to 55 1/2". Now I can get onto mounting it while waiting for the other axle to show up.

Attachments

• DSC01800.jpg
    DSC01800.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC01800 (1) a.jpg
    DSC01800 (1) a.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 133
As always....I am impressed!.....and I love the fact that you are able to do all of this with more ingenuity than anything!

I can't thank you enough for keeping us all inspired.

Awesum

Just found this build and went thru the whole thing this morning. Unbelievable. Subscribing now.
Reminds me of an old modified coach race car.

Latest posts

Back