1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that is a tough one having a car burnt like that, though on a high note, Tom Medleys 40 coupe looked about as bad after a garage fire and his buddies went the distance to bring it back, a great tribute to him and his legacy, another founding rodder sorely missed.

As for the hood hinges, I can whittle them out no prob.

Got started with the suicide door hinges today. I bought these last year before I even had the Packard and now found that their 2x3" dimension is too fat for the Packard's skinny door jambs, so I 'sectioned' them 3/4" to fit them in. I also squared them up and tied them together with a piece of 3/4" tube so they will mount squarely with each other so there is no binding when operating.

Attachments

• DSC02108.jpg
    DSC02108.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02109.jpg
    DSC02109.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02111.jpg
    DSC02111.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02105.jpg
    DSC02105.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC02112.jpg
    DSC02112.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 105
Got one door hinged and loosely bolted on, some tweaking to do to make it fit the frame right, things seem to have a habit of moving around after a bunch of welding....
Before welding the hinge pockets to the door, I made and installed the window tracks that will hold the felt window channel - easy to do before all the other structure gets built and gets in the way.

Attachments

• DSC02116.jpg
    DSC02116.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC02117.jpg
    DSC02117.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02115.jpg
    DSC02115.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 96
I'm sure that the windows are electric. Who's window regulators do you use for these projects? The ones I got seemed to be adequate just a hair flimsy.

Like the others, I'm interested in how you rebuild the doors with new hinges, window regulators, seals, and glass on an odd-ball application (Packard).

Funny, I don't see a NITSA safety door crash bar in there....[P

That would make Big Brother happy, but not too likely...:)

I'm sure that the windows are electric. Who's window regulators do you use for these projects? The ones I got seemed to be adequate just a hair flimsy.

Yep, electric. I'm using Autoloc ones as I have before. I'm sure there are better ones but the price is OK and I've had no problems with them. One thing I modify on them (and will show later) is extend the lift rail that the glass is glued into so it reaches into the felt window channel at both ends to stabilize the glass = especially helpful with longer windows.

Like the others, I'm interested in how you rebuild the doors with new hinges, window regulators, seals, and glass on an odd-ball application (Packard).

Me too, I make it up as I go......[S

Got the door latched and handle mounted, using the ubiquitous 32-4 Ford handle. Inside receiver mechanism is from Carolina Customs connecting to the usual bear claw latch. Finally cut off the door mounting tabs that were welded to the body - kept ripping my pants on them. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC02118.jpg
    DSC02118.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02119.jpg
    DSC02119.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02120.jpg
    DSC02120.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC02121.jpg
    DSC02121.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 86
I used to think I was a pretty good body man but after watching your work I am beginning to wonder about that:confused:.
I am perplexed as to how one guy takes a pile of cut up body parts and stitch's them back together and makes it all look so natural without any body work at all I mean it looks perfect as it sits patina and all. I sit here and shake my head in wonder.[cl What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• attachment[9].jpg
    attachment[9].jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 92
  • attachment[1] (2).jpg
    attachment[1] (2).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 98
  • attachmentEVI2PTB4.jpg
    attachmentEVI2PTB4.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 104
  • attachment[7] (2).jpg
    attachment[7] (2).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 95
You just have to believe you can do it... and if it don't, keep beating on it 'till works.

With the other door mounted and latched, I started in on mounting the window motor. I used a piece of 1/4" x 2" bar (yellow arrow) as a guide to position the motor assy. along with a couple chunks of felt channel set into the guide rails and ran it up and down to make sure it didn't bind. I was going to extend the rail the the glass sits in out to the felt channels but this new design Autoloc used has rubber lined clamps that hold the glass so I think I'll try it as is, maybe it's better than gluing the glass in. I'll have the glass made as long as possible so it won't be too tippy.
Mounted the inside handle (33-4 Ford) with another Carolina Customs mechanism, still need to sort out a door handle/armrest design and mount it to the door.

Attachments

• DSC02126 a.jpg
    DSC02126 a.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC02122.jpg
    DSC02122.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC02123.jpg
    DSC02123.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02124.jpg
    DSC02124.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 72
That looks like the same window unit I used in my Lincoln. I bolted mine to the original lower window channel where the hydraulic unit had mounted. They work great.

That's correct. Also important with these hinges is mounting them as close to the outer skin as possible, otherwise the door will pinch against the frame as it opens.

Ahh. It is little tid bits like this that can make or break the experience for a first time builder. I hadn't put that much thought into it either. Thanks for sharing. Back to watching... [P

After what seems like a long time, both doors are done - so many little things and fabbing in each. Chopped and installed the garnish mouldings, made armrests from some chunks of hardwood, (they'll get upholstered later) and installed the door contacts for the wiring.

Attachments

• DSC02133.jpg
    DSC02133.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02130.jpg
    DSC02130.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC02132.jpg
    DSC02132.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 72
If you ever become homeless and need to relocate let me know.
You can become the CMIC (Chief Modder In charge) at my failing enterprise. The position doesn't pay much but the benefits aren't either. We have fun whenever we want to and we work when we want to.

Great work.

Started on repairing 78 years of wear, tear and rust on the rear fenders. Starting on the passenger side one, replaced the crispy front edge and tacked in the patch for the lower rear edge. Made a small change to the wheelwell shape by pulling back the rear edge by 2" so it doesn't look like the fender is biting the rear of the tire.

Attachments

• DSC02136.jpg
    DSC02136.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02139.jpg
    DSC02139.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC02138.jpg
    DSC02138.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02137.jpg
    DSC02137.jpg