1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The slight contour in the bumper and the Packard script really suit the car. You did a great job narrowing it and filling/removing the holes.

You make the rest of us look like hacks. That might be because some of us are though :rolleyes:

Ehh at the risk of making you angry, (Hopefully not) I don't think that bumper shape is up to your normal standards... I was sorta thinking you would follow the body shape a bit there, what do you think?

No worries man...
By following the body, I guess you were thinking it could curve in close to the rear pan and curl around the fenders ?[S
To me that would be too much of a 50's shape for a 30's car, I'm going for more of a "is that stock or tweaked ?" look.

Before making the new running boards, I have to fix the crispy lower edge of the body that they bolt to. I sliced it off and made a new piece from 1x1" tube with 5/6" nuts welded in to bolt the board to - the right side one is tacked in place, the left side piece is on the floor. Since the body is shortened 5", the front of the cowl will need to be modified to match the 5" forward front end of the running board.

Attachments

• DSC02173.jpg
    DSC02173.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02172.jpg
    DSC02172.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 99
ZZ, I think you've just labelled another genre of building. "Is that stock or tweaked look" is a way of making sections of a hotrod. I have used this technique quite a few times, but never gave it enough thought.
Thank you for your imagineering both in steel fabricating and wordsmithing.
[Are you a wordsmith, if your Spellcheck underlines quite a few of your words?]

I cut and added a pie shaped section to the bottom of the cowl to match up to the new bottom edge piece. A plus of using the 1x1" square tube on the bottom edge is that when the body comes off for finishing, I can set it on the floor without it getting crunched. Once I can flip it over, I'll add some bracing to the backside to stiffen it even more.

Attachments

• DSC02182.jpg
    DSC02182.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC02184.jpg
    DSC02184.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 71
Making the running boards from 16ga. steel is tough to bend on my less than fabulous brake, so I scored them on the bend line with a zip disc and got a nice crisp 90 degree edge. To make the rolled bend I tacked the edge to a piece of 2" pipe and made a handle from angle iron, then I set it on the floor, stood on it and pulled it over to make a nice rolled 90 with a sharp 90 for the bottom edge. Cut the tack welds and repeat for the other side.
Come to think of it, this would work to make the first 90 bend using square tube - who needs a press brake ??

Attachments

• DSC02185.jpg
    DSC02185.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02187.jpg
    DSC02187.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02189.jpg
    DSC02189.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02194.jpg
    DSC02194.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02192.jpg
    DSC02192.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC02191.jpg
    DSC02191.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 99
Awesome idea for those bends on the running boards.

Is the top surface of the boards going to be left smooth or you adding some "decoration" ?

-Chris

it is good to see people achieving really top notch work without tons of tools or amazing shops..

great job on the rolled edge

No worries man...
By following the body, I guess you were thinking it could curve in close to the rear pan and curl around the fenders ?[S
To me that would be too much of a 50's shape for a 30's car, I'm going for more of a "is that stock or tweaked ?" look..

Fair enough, I understand the vision now :D

it is good to see people achieving really top notch work without tons of tools or amazing shops..

great job on the rolled edge

Actually, I had no idea if doing the bend like that would even work ! (Good thing it did, I didn't have any more 16ga. sheet to spare :eek:)

First running board is done, I made the end flanges from 1/8"x2" flatbar - to get a good fit to the fender, I made the flange, bolted it to the fender, then tacked the running board to it from underneath. Same method for the edge that bolts to the rocker panel except I used 1/8"x1" flatbar. Two support braces bolt to the frame and extend out to the edge of the running board.

Attachments

• DSC02195.jpg
    DSC02195.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02196.jpg
    DSC02196.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02199.jpg
    DSC02199.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC02200.jpg
    DSC02200.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 95
Hey ZZ,
How long are your running boards? What a great idea. I'm thinking that would work to make the top edge of a Pickup bed instead of welding a piece of pipe and having to straighten the pipe after the heat draws it. Maybe use
a 3/4" to roll it.

Still watching and learning.

Hey ZZ,
How long are your running boards? What a great idea. I'm thinking that would work to make the top edge of a Pickup bed instead of welding a piece of pipe and having to straighten the pipe after the heat draws it. Maybe use
a 3/4" to roll it.

Betcha that would work for the top roll too, I've done the pipe welded to the top thing for box sides before also, yep, it always warps some. The running boards are 61"long.

Hey ZZ,
a 3/4" to roll it.

Betcha that would work for the top roll too, I've done the pipe welded to the top thing for box sides before also, yep, it always warps some. The running boards are 61"long.

Great minds think alike guys. I was thinking about ZZ's bending method when we were talking about your box sides as well Pops. The trick is going to be to get it to roll over enough to form the circle.
Torchie

First time out in the daylight since December /13. Running boards are done, time to get started on the front end assembly - first thing will be fixing damage and rot on the fenders

Attachments

• DSC02203.jpg
    DSC02203.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02213.jpg
    DSC02213.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02208.jpg
    DSC02208.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02210.jpg
    DSC02210.jpg