New Member Intro

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm ready to start digging into this but I got some questions on fitment of rears, framework etc. Should I lay it all out here, separate threads for each issue, before I start my build thread. Just looking for some idea on stuff some of you guys may have already gone thru etc?

OK I got a 9" Ford rear sitting in my garage, its set up now with a coil over setup and ladder bars I want to install it with a 3 or 4 link air bag system, does anyone know which is stronger, rides better etc. and whats a good width for my frame ? I'm going with a mustang II set up in front with airbags also so it should compliment that. Steering columns anything late model stock go in easy or just do a IDidit deal ?
Big block Chevy, as I said had one before in a 39 Chevy, with headers, pretty much same frame and body, but never payed too much attention how the previous owner did the install, any ideas on mounts, headers etc. ? And last but not least I notice the stock frame has a big ass X in it, whats my options for getting exhaust thru that mess, and I want to sit real low with some 17" - 18" wheels, so that don't help.

You'll have to work your way thru the frame with the exhaust.
Similar to this

$(KGrHqZHJEMFHjKkrzu4BR7cfzyWzw~~60_57.JPG

Wow now that I look at that, I wonder if there will be driveshaft issues when bagging it. Is it possible to remove the X and box the frame, or not worth the effort?

Always issues on old Pontiac frames with drive shafts.
The best thing to do is get an old 40 to 48 Chevy frame to work with.
They don't have all the X member stuff, the front a-arms and cross member just unbolt off them.
The frame doesn't have the spring pockets built into the frame making the Mustang II front end easier to put on them.

Chevy straight frame rails

resize.php

Pontiac with built in spring pockets

$(KGrHqZ,!o4FB+OQzWDtBQjL3dzveQ~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
I hear what your saying but I really want to keep the original frame, can I remove the X ? And I'll just figure a way to work around the pockets. I'm thinking of doing a trailing arm rear suspension I waonder if that makes the X worse for me or if I can tie into it with the front arm bracket.?

Last edited:
1960 Plymouth Fury

My friends call me Rain Man. I got a '60 Ply and a '30 A Ford nearing the end of the build. Trying to figure how to post pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 4
Figured it out.

The '30 looks nothing like this. Currently a work in progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 3
My friends call me Rain Man. I got a '60 Ply and a '30 A Ford nearing the end of the build. Trying to figure how to post pictures.

Welcome Rain Man, nice car, I think your supposed to start a new thread, someone correct me if I'm wrong but again welcome and nice A man, they gettin harder to find ! !

Latest posts

Back