Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided I better weld in some more support before things get real flimsy.[;) [;)
I also realize that these are after market rocker skins. You can see the OG sill under the new skins as well as that seam.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 34
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
Looks like you're fixing a lot of previously shoddy bodywork the right way. Right on; takes twice as long to do it wrong![cl

man o man, torchie, I think you are doing the old girl proud.

Thanks gang. It's just at some point you begin to wonder why you started a project like this to begin with.:p
Just eating the elephant sandwich one bite at a time.:eek: [ddd
Taking a sort of "Mental health" day away from the projects yet starting to formulate a plan.....of sorts.:)
I need to rebuild the entire DS rocker box as there is no inner rocker left at all.
Of course the inner rocker wall attaches right along the floor were all the rust is so I suspect the first thing will be to repair the floor area. I'm concerned as to how far back from the door sill I will have to cut into the floor to get to weldable metal.
I plan on using 16 gauge for this.
Then I will build the inner rocker and weld it to the underneath of the new flooring. The inner on these is an web design and not a solid piece so I may be able to just use some 16 gauge square tubing and build a ladder.
At the point i need to decide if I'm going to peel off the after market rocker outer skin or not.
I most likely will and get a new one and weld it in right.
The rocker boxes on this Dodge are some of the biggest I'v seen. And with that open web design on the inner wall It's no wonder they would rust out. A huge mud trap. I will be putting in some drain holes.
Time to check my sheet metal inventory.
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 20
I'm not sure how different the rocker construction is on this 'generation' of MoPar from the previous one (P15 for Plymouth, & D24 for Dodge), but on my P15 (46 - 1st issue 49, and in a practical design sense including the 42), the inner rocker sheet metal comes down from the bottom of the floor (as you said) then sloping down a bit as it goes out, then meeting the lip of the outer rocker. At that joint the two pieces of sheet metal bend down, and there are weep holes all along that area. If they aren't there on your car, then the design is either vastly different for that generation, or the previous body work eliminated the ability of the rocker area to drain. Admittedly those weep holes are prone to plugging, and then rust out occurs. It seems that this is one of the weakest design areas on about all cars, but what would work better?
Edit: I hope this doesn't sound uppity - finished it hurriedly because my wife called for supper all of a sudden... It's just something I've puzzled over myself - wondering if there is an improvement a person could make ot the typical rocker drainage design.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how different the rocker construction is on this 'generation' of MoPar from the previous one (P15 for Plymouth, & D24 for Dodge), but on my P15 (46 - 1st issue 49, and in a practical design sense including the 42), the inner rocker sheet metal comes down from the bottom of the floor (as you said) then sloping down a bit as it goes out, then meeting the lip of the outer rocker. At that joint the two pieces of sheet metal bend down, and there are weep holes all along that area. If they aren't there on your car, then the design is either vastly different for that generation, or the previous body work eliminated the ability of the rocker area to drain. Admittedly those weep holes are prone to plugging, and then rust out occurs. It seems that this is one of the weakest design areas on about all cars, but what would work better?
Edit: I hope this doesn't sound uppity - finished it hurriedly because my wife called for supper all of a sudden... It's just something I've puzzled over myself - wondering if there is an improvement a person could make ot the typical rocker drainage design.

I suspect there must have been some sort of weep holes(as you say,Neto) I just didn't see any . Of course this is the side that has been cobbled up so who knows what they did or didn't do.
I've changed my plan a bit already. I'm going to try to remove that aftermarket outer rocker skin first. If I can get that off intact it looks like it will be ok to reuse and weld on properly.
Since this is in no way, shape or form a restoration I'm free to come up with something that will work using the materials I have on hand. I just need it to be strong.
I will try to get some pics of the intact PS but it may be tough as it almost all the way down on the floor.
And you didn't sound uppity at all.:)
Torchie

Last edited:

Well it seems old Torchies off his meds. The inner rocker on the 2nd series Dodge is pretty much like you discribed,Neto.
I took a quick look under the car at the passenger side. Disregarding all the rust holes it is a solid piece of sheet metal. I guess my thinking it was a open web design came from some sort of fevered dream.:eek:[S:confused:
But I think that is what I will replace the solid piece with. Something open that can drain and
get ventilation.
That's it for today.....Wow.:eek:
Torchie

As one of my Drs. like to say.....
"Sometimes you just have to lift the sheet and take a look underneath.":eek:[ddd
Nice of the some to tar the top side of their floor patch.
I need to save these plugs as they are what hold the sill trim plates on.
Pictures tell the rest of the story.
Thanks for checking up on me......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 19
holy geeze. I will sometimes seam seal the toe board pedal holes shut or that big brake access hole in the floor of ADs but that is a BIIIIG patch over a rusty hole.

Face it Torchie! You're much like the rest of this crowd. You like to beat, tear up, and weld stuff...period![ddd[cl

I hear you are known by the company you keep. smallfoot.:eek:[ddd:p

holy geeze. I will sometimes seam seal the toe board pedal holes shut or that big brake access hole in the floor of ADs but that is a BIIIIG patch over a rusty hole.

BIG patch with a lot of tar on it,joedoh.:eek::eek:
I ordered new rocker outer skins today.[;) [;) [;)
Torchie

Lotsa work but I don't think it will stop a determined guy like you. I had to do the same on my 47 Packard, full replacement of the rocker boxes plus the entire floor. It also had very large rocker boxes with perfectly placed holes to let in the dirt, water and varmints - it was the reason all the Packard purists passed it over - too rotten to bother with. Of course when I made a street rod out it, they all moaned and groaned about how I defiled a sacred piece of history... Can't please everyone I guess.

Lotsa work but I don't think it will stop a determined guy like you. I had to do the same on my 47 Packard, full replacement of the rocker boxes plus the entire floor. It also had very large rocker boxes with perfectly placed holes to let in the dirt, water and varmints - it was the reason all the Packard purists passed it over - too rotten to bother with. Of course when I made a street rod out it, they all moaned and groaned about how I defiled a sacred piece of history... Can't please everyone I guess.

"So you've got to please yourself." The late. Great. Ricky Nelson.:)

I'm trying to avoid a floor replacement. ZZ. If i have to go that way I might just channel it too. Then it would be the ultimate custom. Chopped. Channeled and sectioned.:eek:[ddd:D:cool:

Crank...
I was thinking of your 37 Chevy tail pan mess when I was cutting out the quarter panel area. I figured it may have been the same guy that did the repair either before or after he migrated.:eek: :p [ddd
Don't expect much tomorrow. Some appointments and I don't want to do any more cutting until the new skins get here on Friday.
Thanks for the comments gang.
Keep on keeping on, everyone.....
Torchie

You're a brave man Torchie!!! [ddd:eek:[ddd

BoB
Brave or foolish. It depends on who you ask. Tripper.:eek: [ddd

You don't get the name "Torchie" by being timid.[/QUOTE

bob. I've never been accused of being shy....:p

Got notification that my rockers skins will be here on Friday.[cl :D :cool:
I was concerned that it wouldn't be till next Tuesday due to the holiday.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back