28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's progress got the doors chopped and fitted, the passenger door lower hinge mount was completely broke out of the A pillar because of a seized hinge

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then I lowered the stands and set it it down close to ride hieght for a look see,

attachment.php

Attachments

• chop2 002.jpg
    chop2 002.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 119
  • chop2 003.jpg
    chop2 003.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 120
  • chop2 004.jpg
    chop2 004.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 117
  • chop2 005.jpg
    chop2 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 118
  • chop2 006.jpg
    chop2 006.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 11
  • chop2 007.jpg
    chop2 007.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 121
  • chop2 008.jpg
    chop2 008.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 120
Door fabbing is coming along. I wonder if you may have to go with a 3rd hinge to help with the extra weight? Does it act like it will sag?

Score

After my post in the drive train section and the recommendations to look for an Explorer diff that's the direction I went. Over the weekend I remembered seeing an Explorer at the dump in a local town I pass by every week. Turns out it is a 1999 and was abandoned in an alley and the Fire Department hauled to the dump and used it for jaws of life rescue practice. They let me roll it on it's side take out the diff, complete with drive shaft, wheels and tires for $20.

WooHoo

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Score 003.jpg
    Score 003.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 123
  • Score 002.jpg
    Score 002.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Score 001.jpg
    Score 001.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
We had a pretty cool night a little over a week ago 7c, which made all our customs all go out to check the level in there propane tanks!! This has made for very busy days at work so no progress on the project till today.

Got busy on shortening the body. I took 7 inches out, I think it will be just enough, here's some photos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I need some advice, the lines for the roof cut out are now about an inch off, I was kinda thinking I should cut the forward section out at the arrow in the picture and move it over to the line. Is that the right way to do it??

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shorten 001.jpg
    Shorten 001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Shorten 002.jpg
    Shorten 002.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Shorten 003.jpg
    Shorten 003.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Shorten 004.jpg
    Shorten 004.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Shorten 005.jpg
    Shorten 005.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Shorten 006.jpg
    Shorten 006.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Shorten 007.jpg
    Shorten 007.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Shorten 008.jpg
    Shorten 008.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Shorten 009.jpg
    Shorten 009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 100
You could move the front over by adding a strip in between, but that's two seams to weld. I'd move the rear out to match the front, and only have the one seam to weld.

What kind of top are you going to run, cloth or metal, or no top at all?

Can't tell for sure, but is the outside contour even side to side, and looking right? Make sure that is where you want it first.

Then...

Split the top sides outboard from the bend that the arrow is pointing at. Maybe an inch out. First try just the front piece. Pull it inboard to match the rear section. (you will likely have to relieve it at the front of the roof opening to allow it to move.) Then if that looks good, fill the pie shaped hole that is made by moving the tin.

If it doesn't look right once you have the front moved, then you will likely have to take some out of the back also, and meet the two in the middle.

WARNING: Bear in mind, I have never done this, so it would be wise to get another opinion. :D

ADDITION-- Bama makes a good point. Less work. You could use a straight edge or string line to see how it looks.

Good luck. Take your time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back