rubber gloves

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exador

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Like you I too like watching the auto related shows on tv. But it just burns my butt to watch them "sissy guys" wearing rubber gloves as they supposedly work on cars. Their are many hand cleaners that do a good job to clean up.

I`m old school and still believe in many old ways, but rubber gloves????

Yup I`m sure some of you will have answers to why wear them. I guess cause I`ve been a blue collar worker with a brown ring on my collarless "T" shirts all my life working.

There are plenty of reasons to wear gloves, none of which make anyone a "sissy". As someone who has operated my own shop and worked in production shops for many years, gloves are as important a toolbox component as a 9/16" wrench.

They make for much faster cleanup when working on customer vehicles or moving to the next job, thus saving time and money. If you're doing a dirty install and have to move to a clean environment like a customer's interior, it's much easier to pop off some gloves and keep moving rather than go scrub your hands repeatedly. Try doing wheel bearings with gloves - pretty nice to be able to do the whole job without moving out of position and also not slopping grease on everything else you touch.

Not only do they make sense financially, there are the obvious health factors involved. They help keep the carcinogens in petroleum products from absorbing into your skin over time. Cancer sucks. Not only that, a little thing called Hepatitis C can live outside the body at room temperature for 3 weeks.

So yeah, when Billy Bob blue collar brings his vehicle in that he couldn't fix himself last week and I'm reaching my hands into where he was busting his potentially Hep C+ knuckles, I'm gonna take two seconds and put some gloves on...

I'll grab a pair for real messy, greasy jobs, or when I'm using strong chemicals. If I'm doing heavy mechanical work, like trying to break loose a stubborn bolt or pry something loose, I usually grab the leather gloves. My skin cuts and abrades very easily anymore, just the slightest scrape leaves a mark that won't go away for days, or skins a layer of skin off and I'm a bloody mess then. That's one of the biggest reasons I don't work on late model stuff anymore than I have to, especially FWD stuff, just too much stuff to scrape on and not enough room to work in.
As far as just general work though, I still go barehanded most of the time, but unlike BED, I'm not working on other folks stuff. Never heard the Hep C angle before, but it makes a lot of sense.

I have never been able to do anything with gloves on. I am about as agile with my feet as I am with gloves. Not much different than wearing mittens.
Biggest problem is that no one makes a rubber glove that will fit my hands. They usually rip when I put them on. The fingers only go up to the middle of my fingers.

Skin protection doesn't make anyone a puss. It's a matter of preference and the desire to stay as healthy as you can.

I always wear them because I am on blood thinners and the smallest nicks make me bleed like a stuck pig. As others have said, some of the chemicals we use will dry out your skin and cause it to crack and bleed. Be careful with what kind of gloves you buy. Some solutions will melt them and burn your skin.

I wear gloves as little as possible. I understand the risks and consequences, but my hands are big and clumsy enough without them...

FEEL is an issue for me and I'll continue to take my chances. (Yeah, I'm a rebel. ;) :D)

"FEEL is an issue for me and I'll continue to take my chances. (Yeah, I'm a rebel. )"
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yea, Yea, Yea, I've heard that before [ddd
I think I've said it too :p

I can't wear the Mechanix or Uline style glove for much. They usually don't last but a couple days for me anyhow. I will happily go through a bunch of Latex gloves in a day though if I'm doing something messy. At least with those I still can feel and have all my dexterity.

Young and dumb, well older and still dumb, I never wore them. Sprayed parts off right in my hand with carb clean for decades, Benzine, touline, xylene, it's all in there and most likely what caused the Leukemia I'm now in treatment for. If protecting yourself from chemicals is sissy, I wish I would have been one.
But maybe you will be lucky enough to get the Leukemia at a younger age when there's still a good chance of curing it.
PS, I just got home from 2 months of treatment and bought my first box.

I will wear them in cold weather. My skin is dry and my hands will crack and bleed from the chemicals and from washing them after almost every job, up to 8 times or so a day.
Tim

I got used to wearing them in the flat rate dealership world. You save time by not having to wash your hands every time you have to put a car back out. Every .1 hour here and there adds up to dollars in your pocket.

One of the few things I buy at Harbor Freight is their 9 mil extra large nitril gloves. Usually get 3 or 4 boxes every time they go on sale. At 65 my hands cut pretty easy and repeated washing makes them dry out and crack. Get some carb cleaner in some cracks and you’ll forget about that ‘only wusses wear gloves’ crap.

I didn't always wear them. But I do now. Not all the time but at work greasing trucks, fixing hydraulic hoses or changing oil. It just makes it easy when your done to pull them off and jump into customers vehicle and move it out. Plus I got tired of going somewhere nice to eat and hands have grease all in the cracks and fingernails. My hands crack and dry out with brake cleaners and hand cleaners. I will grab a tool and work with out them but not if its nasty. I also started a new job this week and have to deal with my phone a lot. Customers and owner of the company. So it's nice when it rings to just pull glove off and not trash a phone, especially when they cost a fortune nowadays. I usually get the black nitrile chemical resistant ones online a lot cheaper than at the store.

Latest posts

Back