1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

Thanks once again for your comments, guys. :D

Looks like you've got all the puzzle pieces and the plan to go with them sorted out. The gas struts look like a good idea - will you use them too? Thinking they would work good on the Packard lid - it's heavy with all the wood framing and gets kinda twisty resting on the original single prop rod.
With the stops gone, what will you use as a latch - don't see one in that blue car...

We have both original mechanical struts, but they're both missing the assist springs as seen below... so yes, we're going with gas struts at the same attachment points and length as GM calculated 83 years ago. After some frustrating research, I found a Canadian manufacturer/supplier who builds struts to your specs. I spoke with the owner and he was very helpful. (He burned 45 minutes with me and I would recommend him to anyone.)

Nolan @ https://lstechnologies.ca/catalog/

The blue car has the original latch mechanism, it's just hard to see in that photo. (We also have the original mechanism and we're going to keep it.)

The stops are obviously a makeshift afterthought. Of course, the lid needs stops of some sort to keep it flush when latched, so we're going to follow GM's lead again. The original stops were attached to the lid, also illustrated below...

attachment.php

Those stops would "bottom" in the channel, approximately as I've drawn here. (We'll likely fabricate/fit/fudge/attach "something" to go in that area and leave the lid clean.) Though it's tough to see in this photo, the channel is double reinforced in the same area for the latch bar, which runs back and forth, across a plate welded to the backside of the channel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• trunk detail.jpg
    trunk detail.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 82
  • body90.jpg
    body90.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
We've been away from the project due to other commitments and one of those commitments was a "celebration of life" for my good friend Gerry. I can't say enough about Gerry, but I'm having trouble finding the words...

Back on the blood sucking coupe. We completed the weatherstrip channel yesterday, beginning with the (almost) finished piece below...

attachment.php

According to plan, we removed the tail panel and plug welded the piece from the inaccessible bottom/blind side.

Temporarily back on the car...

attachment.php

We then formed and fit the final piece, an inverted mirror image of the first. The panel came off for the LAST time and we plug welded the final piece to the first piece.

The completed assembly, fit, trimmed and tacked in place...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

At long last, we are done fighting with this damn thing! All that's left, is to weld the joints and grind them smooth. I usually hate grinding, but in this case, I'm looking forward to it...

Attachments

• body110.JPG
    body110.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 64
  • body117.jpg
    body117.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 65
  • body109.jpg
    body109.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 65
  • body113.jpg
    body113.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 65
  • body116.jpg
    body116.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for your comments, guys, I appreciate them all! :)

You and B-tard should have a celebratory shot and a 12 pack. If I were there I'd furnish all the libations.

B-tard can fend for himself. :p Seriously, we live nearly an hour apart and I quit driving under the influence many years ago... but I did drink a pail full when I got home. [ddd

Nicely done, a real milestone passed ! How will you bridge the gap between the trunk floor and the new tailpan?

We have a factory style "floor extension". The skinny little flange is drilled and plug welded to the backside of the tail pan's skinny flange... evenly spaced, unlike my crayon marks below!

attachment.php

Attachments

• body119.jpg
    body119.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 49
Oh boy, that's a lot of head scratching and work for such a small bit of geography. Sure looks good though. Good you're not paying some high zoot hot rod shop. Sorry about you friend Gerry.

I've got too many old friends who have departed and come to mind when I'm working away in the garage.

My condolences Dr.
I suspect that your loss for words about your friend is the ultimate tribute.
Work looks great as usual too.
Peace and strength to you and Gerry’s family
Torchie

Thank You for your sentiments, guys. Gerry was a very good friend to me and he leaves a BIG HOLE in the hearts and lives of many, many friends and family. :(

Back on the coupe. :)

All welded up, ground and sanded smooth... aside from a few craters and the sunken valley we created...

attachment.php

attachment.php

We never had a proper trunk handle for this car. When it came to us, it had a StanleyTM garage door handle crudely attached. [S

attachment.php

B-tard bought new door handles long ago, but trunk handles are reproduced in small numbers and apparently, not very bloody often! So, we decided to repurpose one of the old door handles. We had to modify it (considerably) to fit and operate the trunk latch properly, which it does, with some help from our loyal sponsor, the letter F. [ddd (I didn't take any pictures of the modified handle, but I will next weekend, if I remember to...)

With the trunk closed and latched, we are VERY pleased with the fit and nearly perfect gap, but I still have reason to whine and complain... though the shop is very well lit, the same wonderful lights make it difficult to eliminate glare and freaky shadows. This really frosts my onions at times, because it gives the illusion of irregularities where they don't necessarily exist, even when your face is two feet from the work. We're constantly tilting our heads and shifting positions because the damn thing is just too reflective and refractive under these lights... anyhow, you'll have take my word for it. The lid fits flush and the skin is quite smooth, despite the image below.

I'm now itching to smear some filler and shoot some primer, but we have some more metal work to do (elsewhere) before that'll happen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• body121.jpg
    body121.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 69
  • body123.jpg
    body123.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 69
  • body122.jpg
    body122.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 69
  • trunk handle stanley.jpg
    trunk handle stanley.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 68
"This really frosts my onions at times, because it gives the illusion of irregularities where they don't necessarily exist, even when your face is two feet from the work."

Know the feelin.
Drives me bat crap crazy when a wheel doesn't look centered in a wheel well, in a pic, and I know it is

Know the feelin.
Drives me bat crap crazy when a wheel doesn't look centered in a wheel well, in a pic, and I know it is

Illusions and delusions... it's a love/hate relationship. :p

A little progress...

We buggered with our "door handle to trunk handle conversion" for a while, but stopped short because we need a better tap and die set to finish. This quality steel does not cut with a die made of MMM (Mongolian Mystery Metal) so next weekend, I'll take my good (inherited) set with me and get it done.

Literally moving forward, it gives me great pleasure to turn a corner and see this thing from a different perspective, despite this fuzzy photo.

attachment.php

We have a rotten cowl corner and we need to repair the rocker on this side. I figger the cowl vent drain ran into this area, because it was packed with fine silt. The driver side is clean and rock solid, so that's my theory, not that it matters...

attachment.php

We had cut the infected rocker section out long ago, when we were working on the floors... knowing we'd have the body on a stand sooner or later, we left the job until now...

attachment.php

Next, we had to replace a section of the inner rocker and a section of the inner cowl. The two replacement pieces are spliced together and welded to a body mount, which is just peeking out below. This part of the job is nearly done, a little welding left to do and we'll get busy fabricating the outer panels.

attachment.php

Attachments

• body126.jpg
    body126.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 44
  • body127.jpg
    body127.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 45
  • body128.jpg
    body128.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 45
  • body129.jpg