1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Jeez no, just whitewall protectors :)

Arrgghhh, doors suck - very time consuming getting everything lined up and fitting the opening right - lessons learned on this side should make the other one go quicker.

I hate it when you spend a ton of time on one door, finally figure it out, then the second door goes WAY faster. Then you find out the second one is better than the first so then you have to go back and redo the first door for a 3rd time!

Nice work you are doing here. [P

This car is looking killer! Keep up the good work!

You can really start to see how it's going to look with the door mostly together.

Those construction tabs are a brilliant idea!

Hello zz.
About 40 years ago I imagineered the definition of 'cool'. It's someone who makes what he does look so easy and slick that everyone and their dog wants to do that too.
You sir, make customizing cars look so easy that I want to try, so you are the coolest. You can see the right proportions with one eye shut, while the rest of us struggle a bit with all of our sight.
I enjoy following your work, O Cool One.
Keep on tinkering.

Last edited:
Got the door mods all welded up and ground/sanded, some waves to hammer out but it basically turned out OK. Once I get the other put together, I'll tackle the hinge mounting. The pile of boxes from Heidts is my MII front end kit, got excited 'till I found out the boneheads I bought it from have lost a couple boxes of parts with the A-arms :mad:. Somebody needs a kick in the nards for giving me the runaround..

Attachments

• DSC01892.jpg
    DSC01892.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC01893.jpg
    DSC01893.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01894.jpg
    DSC01894.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01896.jpg
    DSC01896.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 139
ya gotta love the aftermarket:rolleyes: I have yet to just bolt in anything that says it is or for that matter have all the correct parts the 1st time.
Car is looking great and coming along fast, thought you would be south by now:rolleyes:

ya gotta love the aftermarket:rolleyes: I have yet to just bolt in anything that says it is or for that matter have all the correct parts the 1st time.
Car is looking great and coming along fast, thought you would be south by now:rolleyes:

By some miracle, they found the missing pieces today [cl so tomorrow I'll start assembling the front suspension (anything to get out of working on the other door :eek:)
I've got about a week and 1/2 to work on it before heading out - gotta get it to a roller and mount the engine at least..

Got the front suspension crossmember welded together. Since the front of the frame is still imaginary at this point, I welded the crossmember pieces to 2' long pieces of 2x4" so I could assemble the rest of the suspension to get it in position for joining it to the frame. With the suspension at full drop, I put on a running board and fender for a look-see.
Looks like I'll have to put the other fender and grille on so I can properly sight down the body line to the grille to make sure it's at the right height. Though the body is shortened 5", I'm keeping the wheelbase the stock at 120" so with the running boards uncut, the whole front end sits 5" ahead from stock. Naturally, this means I'll need to make a custom longer hood, but it will give the car the long nose look I'm after.

Attachments

• DSC01901.jpg
    DSC01901.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01902.jpg
    DSC01902.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC01900.jpg
    DSC01900.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01897.jpg
    DSC01897.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 131
Couple more pics....
Figured out the frame height today after sectioning the grille shell and doing a test fit of both fenders and the grille shell. Tomorrow I should get the main frame joined up to the front stub.

Attachments

• DSC01906.jpg
    DSC01906.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC01903.jpg
    DSC01903.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC01899.jpg
    DSC01899.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 128
Rollin', rollin', rollin'

I got the front end connected to the frame. Could have just used a couple pieces of 2x4 tube but I wanted it to look a little smoother, sort of factory made. Top and bottom sides are 1/4" x 2" flat bar, side plates are 3/16". All the ends are staggered to tie it more solidly together plus there are joining pieces welded inside the rails. Buncha welding and grinding later, it's all together.

Attachments

• DSC01907.jpg
    DSC01907.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC01908.jpg
    DSC01908.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC01912.jpg
    DSC01912.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01910.jpg
    DSC01910.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 134
come on, spill it! you have a bunch of Elves' that come out at night and help you do all this right?[S

Amazing what you get done in such a short time.[cl

Latest posts

Back