Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the last mock-up photo:

I can see a bit of a detail issue with the gap at the front of the cover between the frame and radiator shell. If the transition from vertical to horizontal is a radius it becomes a little more of an issue. That might not be seen with the wheel in place, however.

I had to look back a few pages to figure out that the only thing that protrudes from the cover is the steering shaft - all the other bits and pieces that are cut out are temporary - right?

Looking forward to seeing how you make these covers, you'll probably have them done today.

Really like the hood concept, this car is going to have an awesome look!

PaintedHoodSides003_zpsb6c30b0f.jpg

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments. Tries a few more arrangements today. Most weren't very good. This is pretty much back to the original full coverage but with shrouding over the steering box and motor mount. The motor mount will be cut back so it won't be a prominent. And the poster board shrouding is all flat planes but could be made in the form of a teardrop bulge when done in metal.

They grey primer reduces the impact to the eye compared to the orange poster board.

As I stated before, the plan is for lots of louvers which should add lots of visual appeal. Hoping Cornfield Customs will take on the louver job when the time arrives.

What so you think, raw aluminum or rusty or primered steel?

Just my meaningless opinion but I think the taper and curve of the frame should show from the cowl all the way to the front and make a hood and sides something like the tractor pictured.

ReoTop002_zpsfe769530.jpg

I modified the last Mustang shifter in my "pile 'o crap" so it doesn't look like a Mustang shifter.

ReoTop004_zps8c7bb190.jpg

Here it is again. This time with the full frame exposed. Also, there's a sheet of 1/4" plywood on the roof. Thinking I'll get one piece bent to fit and then glue a second sheet to it. That will create a 1/2" thick roof. It will be vinyl covered. The big concern now is does it look okay being flat from side to side or should it have a little crown?

TapeHood001_zps3f38b0a8.jpg

The search for the perfect hood arrangement continues... Here's a tape hood top. A good suggestion made by one you guys. Since none of the hood side treatments really moved me, this deserved a look-see.

The original plan was to have a complete hood. The top is a sure thing after seeing this.

Here's a little different view of the roof too.

GJunctionMike, Thanks for the Moline pic. I like the horizontal beads on the side panels.

Last edited:
I kind of like the flat roof with the sharp edges. Makes it look pretty aggressive. The hood with no sides looks pretty good as well.

I think the flat top looks cool! And although the frame is a fine looking piece of work I still like the full hood side idea that follows the bottom line of the frame......but would need to roll over the top of the frame with a little radius rather than straight bends in my opinion.
That being said, I have complete faith in you Bob that whatever you decide will be just plain out cool! :cool:

[P[P[P

Bob that flat roof is cool, and wrap in vinly would make it. My photo chop skill are bad but I was looking at it someting like this.

Attachments

• Bobw hood.jpg
    Bobw hood.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 80
Cool

I really like the roof like you have it mocked up....love the sharp edge with no crown. Looks very aggresive.
I think the "Molene" hood would look great just like it is on the tractor.....long in the front, shorter in the back. That would also make it look like it has a lot of rake.[cl

You know what looks right....follow your "gut feelings". :D

Lynn

RearShock002_zpsb13da4b1.jpg

Got the 8" Ford rear end lined up and tacked to the spring plates. Also installed these early Chevy truck lever shocks. They are single action and needed to be mounted to the axle because the frame is underslung.

Thanks for the comments. If I had it to do over I'd make the roof a little different. It's close to what I want though. It will be covered in either black vinyl or tent-type canvas. That includes the sides to the door tops and around the back to the belt line. I want it to look old and worn though.

GJMike, the Photoshop helps a lot. I like it.

I had those same shocks for the front axle of the 48 Firetruck Roadster, but I couldn't get them to fit in any location. I didn't consider mounting them on the axle. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

Latest posts

Back