Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are welcome Bob. Keep an eye on CL for a old jeep soft top or old canvas tent. In my neck of the woods I see then pop up all the time for cheep. Plus they are already weathered. The ride is look’n awesome.

Bob,

randomly saw these pics.. made me think of your build and the flat roof... hope you dont mind..

Build is looking great

Attachments

• Voisin-C20--Mylord--Demi-Berline_1.jpg
    Voisin-C20--Mylord--Demi-Berline_1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 67
  • user17915_pic186623_1274184974.jpg
    user17915_pic186623_1274184974.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 66
RearShock007_zps09bc5664.jpg

The roof plywood came out good. Gluing the two 1/4" sheets together and clamping them to the car caused the roof to form quite closely to the desired shape. Still needs to be trimmed all around.
Today I used an old adapter I had that is intended to replace a Q-jet with a square bore carb. I flipped it over and drilled and tapped it to fit the small base pattern on the Offenhauser manifold. Will be using a Q-jet on the engine. I was cruising the 'net and lots of people use Q-jets on in-line 6's with good results.
Spent the rest of the day making carb linkage (along with a number of "honey-do's).
That is quite an elegant car, Corpo. The flat roof gives it a sinister quality. That's what I'm after.
Mike, I'm wondering if I can dye (black) the canvas from an old weathered tent.

Bob most of it depends on how old the canvas is and what the canvas was treated with. The best way to see if it will take color is pure the dye on a small patch let it set a couple minutes then use a little soup and water to clean it, the dye will either take or it won’t. If it does start to take then you should be able to dye it just don’t follow the direction on the bottle do this instead. Find a wash tub, fill with lukewarm water (hot water could ruin the treatment in the canvas) and add 4 to 5 bottles of dye. Make sure the canvas stays submerged, stir really good every 15 minutes, may have to keep this up for 2 to 3 hours and may require a couple times.

Or this http://www.leatherique.org/canvas_top1.htm

ThrottleLinkage004_zpse9e619ea.jpg

Got the carb mounted and the linkage fabbed. Now to move inside and make a gas pedal and bell crank.

Thanks for the canvas dying information, Mike. I've been checking out new, untreated canvas. That should dye easier.

Now debating between splitting the cast iron exhaust manifold or building a header.

Got the carb mounted and the linkage fabbed. Now to move inside and make a gas pedal and bell crank.

Thanks for the canvas dying information, Mike. I've been checking out new, untreated canvas. That should dye easier.

Now debating between splitting the cast iron exhaust manifold or building a header.

The Q-Jet looks at home on there, I like it!
I like the linkage solution for the 90 degree turn!

Can that six even move enough air to make the seconaries open?

I used to love to stomp my camaro to the floor and listen to the quadradump secondaries open.

ReoManifold002_zpsa6266e46.jpg

Decided to try a split manifold. Figured if it didn't work I would then build a header. Here's how I cut the manifold. Used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. In my "never throw anything away" pile of metal there was a length of 1 7/8" OD .120 wall tubing. That worked out good for the down tubes.

Guys, your positive comments are greatly appreciated and a real motivator.

ReoManifold008_zps947aeeb2.jpg

Since this is a warm weather hot rod I'm hoping that not having a heat riser will not be a problem. I welded the manifold to the mild steel down tubes with 55% Nickel/Stainless electrodes using a Miller AC welder. I used a method described on the Lincoln site which does not require preheating and slow cooling. The process is to weld only a very short length so as to not put much heat into the cast iron.

For me, the process consisted of "glob and grind". Very hard to lay a nice bead.

To be "period correct" I should use flex pipe but I'll most likely put flanges on the down tubes. The head pipe from the front three cylinders will run under the front part of the oil pan and the pipe will run down the passenger side. Side pipes are necessary as there is no room under the car.

That's unique, dual side pipes on a straight 6. Nice solution for the Q jet linkage.

BTW, I think you were supposed to do that cast iron welding technique with a Lincoln welder.

Still lookin' good!

Looks cool as heck too....

Nice work....never tried to weld cast iron before.....may give it a whirl....it appears that it worked out well for you....[cl

GasSpoon003_zps85d88611.jpg

It was a low energy day today. All I did was build a gas pedal. A narrow pedal for a tight area.

Flipper, I think that is the advantage of the Q-jet. Small primaries and the secondaries will only open to the extent the engine requires.

Latest posts

Back