Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing the split manifold takes me back. The sound from the forthcoming video is going to take me back again.
402471-1.gif

ManifoldFlanges001_zps2a5beb59.jpg

Stopped at my favorite muffler shop, Dave's Exhaust, and got 6 flanges and 4 gaskets for 20 bucks. I put some curve in the down tubes and welded the flanges in place. Yesterday I ordered u-bends and today I order a 10 foot straight pipe. Thinking of putting two 12 inch motorcycle baffles in each straight pipe. Not sure if it will give me the sound I would like. Yes, E-man, a video with audio will happen.

DJ3100, my MIG is a Lincoln. But it's good I kept my old Miller for jobs like this. When I narrow an I-beam front axle I weld it with the Miller. I like the heat it puts into a weld

Tim, there's a really good thread on the PORK site about splitting exhaust manifolds.

Nice, Bob! Have you ever MIG welded cast to steel before and how did it hold up? I had to change the exit flange angle on my drivers manifold and did the same thing. The weld looks good but I was wondering how its going to hold up when it starts heating up and cooling down.

Nice, Bob! Have you ever MIG welded cast to steel before and how did it hold up? I had to change the exit flange angle on my drivers manifold and did the same thing. The weld looks good but I was wondering how its going to hold up when it starts heating up and cooling down.

I've done it before and had good luck. ...but I may just be lucky.

ManifoldFlanges006_zps3176e7f3.jpg

Simple shift linkage in tight quarters. It's connected to an old Mustang shifter.

falconvan, I've welded cast iron three times, in 1958, 1968 and now. Used an AC stick welder with Nickel/Stainless rod each time. When I was researching this subject on the Google I found people that said they successfully welded cast iron with a wirefeed (MIG).

ReoPipes008_zps8cc24120.jpg

The left side exhaust pipe is complete, except for welding. I'll turn the pipe inboard in front of the rear wheel. Smithy mufflers will be placed under the trunk in back. Gotta have Smithy's for that 6 cylinder sound.

ReoPipes011_zps20add0d5.jpg

Here's the front pipe sneaking down under the oil pan to meet the pipe running down the other side. Still more work to do over there.

Looks like a tight fit.....

Have to ask....what is the steering box from? I've got an old 50 chevy pickup box and column that looks similar......

ReoExhOtherSide002_zps491af53c.jpg

Here's the pipe coming out from under the oil pan. I ended the head pipe here so it would be easy to install and remove. The side pipe attaches with the flange.

Sgt. it is a Chevy truck steering box. Not sure of the year but around 1940.

ReoExhOtherSide001_zpsacbf27af.jpg

The side pipe snakes out under the frame and ends at the back of the body. When the parts arrive I'll turn the side pipes 90 degrees under the frame just past the body then aim them straight back and connect the Smithy mufflers.

Smittys....

The only sound sweeter than a Smitty is a whisper down a perfumed neck on a moonlit night.....LOL.;););)

I do love a 6 cyl split exhaust. Lookin' good.:cool:

Lynn

ReoSeatFrames008_zpsde2213d3.jpg

I must be getting old and slow. It took 5 hours to make a pair of seat frames. Made them out of 1/4" by 1". The bends were made by heating an 8" section to dull red and bending the steel around a plywood form. The plywood was pretty charred by the time I got 8 bends done.

I want to use old, worn fabric or leatherette on these seats.

Seats

Hey Bob...I'm putting aluminum bomber seats in Buford. I went to Kmart and bought 2 flight jackets right before Christmas. They are fake distressed leather but they look real. I'm gonna have cushions made and covered with the jacket material by a guy that does furniture. (I figure a furniture guy will make better cushions than an automotive shop.) The best part is they were on sale for $40 bucks apiece. Something you might consider...just a suggestion.[S

Lynn

Latest posts

Back