Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoorRepair020.jpg

Oh, yes falconvan, there's doors. One per side. Spent part of the day replacing lower inner door rust out. It took a long time to get the door latch mechanisms out.

Now doing an experiment. One latch is being derusted by electrolysis and the other is soaking in vinegar. Gonna see which method works the best.

LatestSide002.jpg

Thank you for the kind remarks and the encouragement.
I've been trying different hood side designs for a while now. I feel the need to cover the frame because I used an ugly frame rail and it sits quite high. The hood sides will be two piece. The lower piece is shown and covers the frame.

LatestSide003.jpg

The upper hood is shown here. The bead on the cowl will extend along the top of this piece. There will be louvers, or some other style of slots, holes or mesh as part of the upper side pieces.

The rest of the day was spent finish welding the many patches and holes in the body. Lots of grinding to look forward to.

SidePanelDoor002.jpg

I decided to put doors in the hood side panels. Figured I better practice so I don't mess up too bad. A hammer form was made for the door opening and another buck was made to make the door. I learned enough doing this so I should be able to do a passable job.

I'll have to make sturdier hammer forms that will hold up making 8 doors and openings.

I decided to put doors in the hood side panels. Figured I better practice so I don't mess up too bad. A hammer form was made for the door opening and another buck was made to make the door. I learned enough doing this so I should be able to do a passable job.

I'll have to make sturdier hammer forms that will hold up making 8 doors and openings.

That is an awesome idea, you really hit a home run with that! How hard was it to get that hammered out? [cl

MoreDoors004.jpg

I cut up some plywood and made a hammer form to creace the bottom flange on the frame covers. Used the leather faced slap hammer in the pic to form the flange. It leaves fewer hammer marks.

FeameCovers009.jpg

Here's one of them clamped in place. Still some trimming to do. Needs a little curve on the back edge match the cowl. Look like a good place for a row of louvers, eh?

Here's one of them clamped in place. Still some trimming to do. Needs a little curve on the back edge match the cowl. Look like a good place for a row of louvers, eh?

I'd throw a wheel up there and maybe a hood to get the big picture view before I punch any holes.

Dude u have a very awesome build Going . I like where I are going with your project . I also like the six with the split exhaust u have down a great job on the manifold I like it...

MoreDoors005.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. It is really appreciated.

Ya Flipper, just speculating about louvers. This build is not following any typical formula so lots of decisions being made along the way. That makes this build extra fun, like your build. I have tried several hood side door arrangements but have not hit on the ONE yet.

I found a local guy the does louvers up to 5" or 6" long. That might be better than doors.

MoreDoors005.jpg

Ya Flipper, just speculating about louvers. This build is not following any typical formula so lots of decisions being made along the way. That makes this build extra fun, like your build. I have tried several hood side door arrangements but have not hit on the ONE yet.

I found a local guy the does louvers up to 5" or 6" long. That might be better than doors.

I have to say I really really really like the door idea over louvers, louvers are overdone in my opinion, do keep the door idea :)

I think a couple in front of the steering box, and a few behind. I'm still on that aero-bump on the side too, really dig this build, keep it up!!!! [cl[cl[cl

Louvers are checkbook items, sort of a solution by default -the doors are just cool. I got an "I never thought of doing that" reaction when I first saw them.

I am sure you'll get a ton of questions about what car the hood with doors came from. No one will even comment on louvers.

MoreDoors005.jpg

What about rotating the doors (turn 'em front to back) so that you have a consistant line of them down the side of the hood?

...or maybe size the doors with the same swoop as your frame cover. smaller doors up high up front and they get bigger as they go back. ...maybe even curve the bottom edge of the doors.

Latest posts

Back