Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would display it proudly on my living room mantel....

Here's a close up of the top. The trophy is supposed to signify the "king" of the suede/primer hot rods at the show.
Coming up with a trophy design hurt my head. Not going to try any arty projects again.

:D....till my wife took it down... :eek: :(

Spent the morning brushing contact cement on the plywood roof and foam padding and fused them together. Then I put the vinyl on the same way. As they say on the news, "Something went terribly wrong". The foam lifted and the vinyl wrinkled. The cement didn't hold. I tore everything off and threw it all away. Spent an hour getting the cement off the plywood with acetone.
At that point I decided to pull the body off the frame and finish all the welding, grinding and painting on the chassis. The body in in storage, til fall.

Sgt., would you put the trophy on a shelf in the garage? Or is it too bad even for that?

Leaning toward a 4.8 LS Chevy for the Rover. Except I hate to deal with all the wires and computer. Picked up a free S-10 rear end for it. Need to check width and ratio though.

Trophy

Bob, I've made trophies for shows......tain't easy! I think ya done good...I'd be proud to have it. Next time, tho.....run away....far, far away. LOL:eek:

Lynn

Attachments

• flying-fickle-finger-of-fate.jpg
    flying-fickle-finger-of-fate.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 27

Welding is done. Lots of crawling around on the floor. I'm pretty stiff and sore. Next is lots of grinding.

DJ3100, Fall starts around the end of July around here.

Looks like lots of rain tomorrow so I probably won't fetch the Rover til the following Sunday.

Dropped the trophy off at my favorite sign painter's for lettering. She has some good ideas for it.

Looks like you are making some progress, what about getting that frame up off the floor on some saw horses so you dont have to crawl around?

Sorry to hear of the mishap on the vinyl, hopefully things go better on the nest time around.

I finished grinding the welds. Not excessivly, just cleaned them up a bit. Then I brushed a coat of epoxy primer designed for industrial equipment on the frame. Next will be Rustoleum, probably satin black.
I was cruising Craigslist last night when a guy posted a '36 Ford rear end, complete with spring and radius rods for $45. I raced over there and bought it. The radius rods can sell for a couple hundred. Not for sale though as the rear should find a home in one of my future projects.

DR, I took your advice and hoisted the frame on to saw horses I forgot I had.

Bob, my wife doesn't allow me to have any car stuff

:D....till my wife took it down... :eek: :(

in the house.....I dig the trophy.....I'd have it where everyone coming in would see it....my wife.....not so much....lol..
hey the frame looks great....even in primer....some of you guys have an absolute ton of luck with finding stuff........me......not so much :(

I was cruising Craigslist last night when a guy posted a '36 Ford rear end, complete with spring and radius rods for $45. I raced over there and bought it. The radius rods can sell for a couple hundred. Not for sale though as the rear should find a home in one of my future projects.

You are a one man Hot Rod assembly line Bob, and an inspiration to us all.

Nothing more exciting than watching paint dry.:rolleyes: Armed with a 2" throwaway brush I applied the first coat of Rustoleum Satin Black. It's so cold and rainy today that it wouldn't dry. Had to put the garage heater on. And this is the middle of May. One more coat on this side then I can flip it over and repeat the process.

Then I cleaned all the grease off the 8" rear end (uncommon 3.25 ratio) so I can get it sandblasted.

E-Man, thanks for the compliment. I'm really feeling my age and have slowed down by half. But I'll keep building 'til they pry the 3/8" drive ratchet from my cold, dead hand.

Then I cleaned all the grease off the 8" rear end (uncommon 3.25 ratio) so I can get it sandblasted.

But I'll keep building 'til they pry the 3/8" drive ratchet from my cold, dead hand.

You will like the 3:25 gears. perfect split between cruising and performance. [cl

Went out to Windy Hill junkyard with some friends and look what followed me home. It's a 1961-67 Land Rover. Not next on my project list but too unique to pass up. It will sit a lot lower and have a lot more HP when it gets done.

Just saw one of those in a parking lot yesterday. First one I'd seen probably in twenty years. Maybe put the motor in the back too like Lil Red Wagon? [ddd

Went out to Windy Hill junkyard with some friends and look what followed me home. It's a 1961-67 Land Rover. Not next on my project list but too unique to pass up. It will sit a lot lower and have a lot more HP when it gets done.

Is it just me or does that look like the rear tires are on the front? [S[S[S

DR, the front wheels are just put on "inside out".
I did a little measuring and I'm sure a small block Chevy will fit well. Was thinking of using a 4.3 V6, but now I don't know... Looks like the rear of the frame where the spring shackles attach is badly rusted. I'll know more tomorrow.

Here's the only hot rodded Landy I've been able to find on the 'net. This is a very early model, 1948.
Mine will not be this radical as I intend to drive it a lot.

Yes, something along those lines except less pro street and a bit crustier. Your pic reminded me that i took pics of a Bronco at the GSTA show a couple years ago. This one is too smooth also.

Latest posts

Back