Keeping the Parallel Springs any tips?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

Ive decided to keep my front parallel springs on this 53 frame. Time and money is the main two. Less money now means longer time to get this project rolling. Do you have any Tips on what to NOT do, and what to do? I plan on Z'ing the frame and putting a GM12 bolt out back with ladder bars. Thanks

Steven

IMG_20121113_081724.jpg

IMG_20121113_081734.jpg

IMG_20121113_081740.jpg

IMG_20121111_134228.jpg

Cheapest/easiest way to get the front down is to mount the axle on top of the springs (axle flip) . You'll need to C notch the frame for axle clearance and either raise the steering box or shorten the pitman arm 4" to keep the drag link level to prevent bumpsteer. Shortening the pitman arm will make the steering quicker but heavier to turn.
I'd make new mounts for the rear springs to raise them up on the outside of the frame first, it will reduce the amount of Z you'll need to get it low. Actually, it would look much better with an arch built into the rails over the axle, sort of a big C notch kit made with plates welded to both sides of the rails and capped with plates top and bottom, like the mini truck guys do. That way you can have a semi-normal pickup box with just a bump in the middle.

Cool, thanks. I will also be using new hardware and mounts for the eyes. Will also be putting some grease between the springs when I remove every other one.

Guess I'm confused....

Cool, thanks. I will also be using new hardware and mounts for the eyes. Will also be putting some grease between the springs when I remove every other one.

if the frame in the pic's is the frame you are using....then you have the axle over the springs already and the frame is already raised in that area.....so my question.....?? Is this not the frame??? [S

if the frame in the pic's is the frame you are using....then you have the axle over the springs already and the frame is already raised in that area.....so my question.....?? Is this not the frame??? [S

Sarge, don't forget it's a pickup and that's how they came - it's totally unloaded in the pics and the travel would be half that with the weight of the complete truck on it, plus those overload shocks are pushing it up too. They were designed to take a load and that's what they did - many guys would load those old trucks 'till the axle hit the frame.
Even with the frame sitting right down on the axle, it would still look high in todays age of frame laying Rats...:)

OK...was not reading all the way thru again.....my bad

Sarge, don't forget it's a pickup and that's how they came - it's totally unloaded in the pics and the travel would be half that with the weight of the complete truck on it, plus those overload shocks are pushing it up too. They were designed to take a load and that's what they did - many guys would load those old trucks 'till the axle hit the frame.
Even with the frame sitting right down on the axle, it would still look high in todays age of frame laying Rats...:)

Wish I had more expertise in what you want to try.....it just looks like what your describing would be almost as difficult and maybe even more costly as to build one from scratch...maybe I'm not seeing as clearly as someone else might....I'll be interested in seeing what the experts here have to say for ideas.....[P

Im not going to be using any of the rear. I have a 12 bolt and ladder bar setup for the back. Im only keeping the front springs which have the axle on the bottom. Should get this put in the garage this coming week.

Personally on that front, 2 options here.... get a drop axle with about 3 or 4" of drop that will get the truck started in the right direction, its 350 well spent... if thats not in the budget, here is the other... put the axle on top of the leafs... but I will warn you it can get tight on clearances... And before trying to set this thing all up, do 1 change with the front and put the motor in, and put the cab on for the weight to see where its at all in all... Rear you can z, hell you can z the front with alot of work... there is alot of ways to do this, all depends on how much your willing to work and will take some creativity...

First and foremost... get rid of those shocks...

IMG_20121202_183655.jpg

Got it Z'ed in the front, working on the rear tomorrow. The shocks will be removed, going to move them to the rear side of the axle. Thanks for the tips. I made my templates for some fish plates, should get them cut out by next weekend. Also going to box this section of the frame.

Be careful where you put the shocks, if you re-locate the fronts to the rear side of the axle you may have issues with your steering setup. Its a pretty crowded spot especially on the drivers side.

Thanks Klink, Im going to save that for later then. I dont have my steering figured out yet, not using the stock setup. I would love to have something different like an exposed sprockets and chain coming out the side of the cab? Dont know for sure yet.

Hi zpi28

I just saw this thread and I thought I would jump in....I left as much of my truck as far as the front end goes in the stock configuration. Stock springs...hangers etc...I dont know half of what those GM folks that designed my truck do so I figured the less I mess with it the better off I would be.
I did have to move the stock steering box back about 1/2 foot and then I had to cut the steering column into 2 pieces to get it to fit in the cab. The drag link I took and cut in half and added a section of thick wall steel tube I bought from Speedway...I havent driven mine yet so I have no clue if it is gonna work out or not. Im no engineer so I try to keep stuff simple..not always good thing tho...
Good luck with your build...you are really makin progress in a rather short time frame too...

MikeC

Latest posts

Back